This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2006 / 52°12'2"N
Longitude: -2.5706 / 2°34'14"W
OS Eastings: 361096
OS Northings: 255974
OS Grid: SO610559
Mapcode National: GBR FS.3DZ7
Mapcode Global: VH84Z.DYCD
Entry Name: St Richards School
Listing Date: 18 March 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1323722
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469154
Location: Bredenbury, County of Herefordshire, HR7
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Bredenbury
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Bredenbury with Greendon Bishop and Wacton
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 65 NW BREDENBURY COURT
St Richard's School
Country house, now a school. Circa 1810 for William West; remodelled and enlarged in 1873 by T. H. Wyatt for W. H. Barnebury, and extended in 1902 by Sir Guy Dawber for F. Greswolde-Williams. Rock-faced red sandstone and sandstone ashlar. Roofs set behind balustraded parapets. Various rendered stacks; large ashlar lateral stack to dining room. PLAN: 1810 square house was remodelled and extended by one bay to left [W] by T. H. Wyatt. In 1902 Dawber added a single storey dining room on the right [E] side and a rear wing was built to the NW replacing a single storey wing. Long service wing to rear NE. Italianate style 1873 remodelling, and Baroque 1902 additions. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys. Symmetrical 1:3:1 bay south front with further bay set back on right, and single storey dining room on extreme right. 2 storey canted bays to left and right with balustrades, moulded strings, flat window arches with keystones, balustraded parapet and later rendered porch at centre, the window above with volutes to architrave, 3:3 bay west elevation, 3 bays on right with 2-storey square bays with balcony balustrade between; sash windows without glazing bars; left, 3 bays added in 1902, large round-headed ground floor windows, large square 2-storey bay on left, modillion cornice and sashes with glazing bars; set back on left [N] a range with pedimented west front. 1902 dining room projects on east, ashlar, in Baroque style with Venetian window under broken pediment, broad rusticated comer pilasters rising above parapet balustrades, Gibbs surrounds, and large chimney stack on east side with segmental pediment and pair of chimney shafts above. Rear [N], sash windows and Venetian stair window; wings to left and right and lower ranges between. INTERIOR: 1873 work includes panelled entrance hall and staircase with strapwork on newels and twisted balusters, chimneypieces in inner hall and in drawing room. 1902 dining room by Dawber has segmental vaulted moulded plaster ceiling, possibly by G. P. Bankart, panelling with carved festoon drops in pilasters and Ionic columns to arched vestibule and inglenook. Delft tiles in cloakroom. 1902 rear wing contains billiard room with moulded ceiling beams and joists and inglenook, chambers above have chimneypieces with Delft tiles, and tiled bathroom. SOURCES:  Buildings of England, pp.82 and 83.  Weale J., A History of Bredenbury and its Landed Estate; published by Bromyard and District Local History Society, 1997; pp.77-114.
This building was added to the list by the 26th Amendment, dated 18 March 1998.
Listing NGR: SO6109655974
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings