This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6459 / 50°38'45"N
Longitude: -2.3914 / 2°23'29"W
OS Eastings: 372419
OS Northings: 82980
OS Grid: SY724829
Mapcode National: GBR 10C.G6R
Mapcode Global: FRA 57WC.G4Z
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Osmund
Listing Date: 26 January 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1323965
English Heritage Legacy ID: 105913
Location: Osmington, West Dorset, Dorset, DT3
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Osmington
Built-Up Area: Osmington
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Osmington with Poxwell St Osmond
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 7282 OSMINGTON CHURCH LANE
Parish Church of
26.1.56 St Osmund
Parish Church. C15 west tower. Most of the rest of the church rebuilt
in 1846, retaining the medieval chancel arch and north arcade. Goodhart-
Rendel ascribed the design to Benjamin Ferrey. Coursed and squared
rubblestone walls. Window dressings of Ham Hill. Slate roofs. West
tower of two stages externally and 3 storeys internally with a projecting
vice. Angle buttresses to the east which project into the nave, and
diagonal buttresses to the west. West window of 3 lights with restored
mullions and moulded vertical tracery in a pointed head with label and
stops. Top stage has in each wall a 2 light window with blind tracery
in a pointed head under a moulded label. C15 doorway to the vice in
north wall has a restored, chamfered head. Nave: has a north arcade
of four two centred arches of two chamfered orders, the piers have four
engaged shafts with moulded capitals and bases, separated by hollow chamfers,
c.1300. The south arcade is a copy of the north arcade. The north
aisle, rebuilt in 1846 with old storework for walling, and new windows,
two stage buttresses. North windows are of 2 cinquefoiled lights
with a quatrefoil and pierced spandrels in a pointed head with a label.
South aisle, similar in design and date. South door has chamfered
jambs and pointed head. South porch as an outer two centred archway
with continuous moulded jambs. Chancel has 2 stage buttresses at the
eastern corners. East window of 3 lights with vertical tracery in a
pointed head with label. South doorway. Interior: chancel arch is
two centred and of two chamfered orders. To the west the outer order
springs from engaged shafts with moulded bases, scalloped capitals and
chamfered abaci, c.1200. Tower arch, two centred and of two wave
moulded orders, with inner order dying into the jambs. Roofs: nave has
arch braced collar beam trusses springing from stone corbels. Chancel
has king post trusses with arch braces springing from stone corbels, and hind
braces. Fittings: font, square stone bowl with sunk arched panels in
each side, cylindrical stem with four smaller shafts on restored base,
c.1200. Coffin lid in floor of nave, with cross in low relief, C14. Benefactors
table, tower, painted panel of the charity of Mrs S Toogood 1826.
Monuments and floor slabs, numerous, see R.C.H.M. (R.C.H.M. Dorset II,
p. 179 (1)).
Listing NGR: SY7241982980
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings