This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7951 / 50°47'42"N
Longitude: -2.4178 / 2°25'4"W
OS Eastings: 370648
OS Northings: 99585
OS Grid: SY706995
Mapcode National: GBR MZ.Z77W
Mapcode Global: FRA 56TZ.XHJ
Plus Code: 9C2VQHWJ+2V
Entry Name: School Gates and Piers
Listing Date: 7 December 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1324155
English Heritage Legacy ID: 104951
Location: Piddletrenthide, Dorset, DT2
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Piddletrenthide
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Piddletrenthide
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 79 NW
PIDDLETRENTHIDE VILLAGE (EAST SIDE),
School Gates and Piers
Gates, probably originally from the tomb of Lady Margaret Beaufort in Westminster Abbey. C16. Wrought-iron. Spear headed uprights with horizontal rails. The upper rail is broad and bears a cable-moulding with lozenge shaped jewels beneath. Square-set hinge parts with decorative 3-stage weather buttresses taking the form of a Doric column above the top rail and supporting a finial. Probably early C19 rusticated, pointed, monolithic stone gate piers. The gates formed a part of the collection of John Bridge and were removed from Westminster Abbey c.1820. Gates relocated to new school in 1999.
RCHM, Dorset, vol III, p 216, no 3.
Listing NGR: SY7064899585
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings