This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9005 / 50°54'1"N
Longitude: -2.1964 / 2°11'47"W
OS Eastings: 386282
OS Northings: 111246
OS Grid: ST862112
Mapcode National: GBR 1YV.HHS
Mapcode Global: FRA 669Q.D52
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 14 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1324643
English Heritage Legacy ID: 103249
Location: Iwerne Stepleton, North Dorset, Dorset, DT11
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Iwerne Stepleton
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Iwerne Courtney (Shroton) and Iwerne Steepleton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 81 SE IWERNE STEPLETON
4/159 Church of St Mary
Parish church, Cll, largely refenestrated and vestry added C19. Roughcast
walls, structure appears to be of flint and rubble with squared rubble
dressings. Roof is partially tiled and partially stone slated with stone
copings. Plan; nave, chancel, north vestry, south porch. East window is
pointed, of 2 lights with Perpendicular tracery, probably C15. The other
windows are mainly similar but of the C19. The north wall has a blocked
original round headed loop set high up. According to Hutchins there were
8 similar windows in the nave and they may be concealed under the render.
North and south doorways have chamfered 4-centred heads and continuous jambs.
C19 open timber porch with stone-slated roof.
Internal features (RCHM). The original plan of the church is uncertain. The
chancel walls are of great thickness and may once have supported a tower. The
east chancel wall has a round headed recess which may be the original sanctuary
arch. The arch is of a single order of plain voussoirs springing from chamfered
imposts enriched with a pattern of small rectangles enclosing diagonal crosses
and pearls. This decoration is original only on the imposts in the reveals
of the archway and is elsewhere of the C19. Square, undecorated responds.
The present chancel archis round headed and rendered but presumably of the
Cll. Chancel to vestry arch is C19. C14 niche in north respond of former
east archway has cusped 2-centred head and stop chamfered jambs. C15 piscina
with cinqufoil ogee-headed opening in square head. Various C19 monuments
including one to Peter Beckford the writer on foxhunting. Monument to
Martha Cameron Lindsay of 1921 by Francois Sicard (Newman and Pevsner),
marble relief with seated figure. The church is of considerable archaeological
interest and it is possible that further early features may be found beneath
the rendering. (RCHM, Dorset, vol. III, p.131, no. 1. Newman, J and Pevsner, N.
The Buildings of England: Dorset, 1972, p.241.)
Listing NGR: ST8628211246
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings