This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1228 / 51°7'22"N
Longitude: -3.9403 / 3°56'25"W
OS Eastings: 264304
OS Northings: 137736
OS Grid: SS643377
Mapcode National: GBR KW.9KMJ
Mapcode Global: VH4MT.N18L
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 25 February 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325277
English Heritage Legacy ID: 98540
Location: Bratton Fleming, North Devon, Devon, EX31
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Bratton Fleming
Built-Up Area: Bratton Fleming
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bratton Fleming St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
BRATTON FLEMING BRATTON FLEMING
SS 63 NW
4/61 Church of St. Peter
Parish Church, C14 fabric to north chancel chapel. Early C16 tower largely rebuilt
in early C19 after collapsing on nave. Chancel rebuilt 1853, nave and north aisle
rebuilt c.1861 by J. Hayward. Stone rubble with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with
apex crosses to gable copings. Coped gable ends to chancel and north aisle. Nave,
west tower, chancel north aisle. Tower of 3 stages, diagonal buttresses to top of
second stage only. Crenellated parapet. Square-headed bell-opening of 2 cusped
headed lights with louvres. 2-light window with 4-centred arches and continuous
hoodmould above 4-centred arched west doorway with moulded surround and stone
voussoirs. C19 plank door with overlight. 3 slit windows to integral stair turret
on north side. Slated lean-to outshut in the angle of the tower and north aisle.
Clock face to south side top stage dated 1897 above single 4-centred arched window.
Nave has 2 C19 Perpendicular style pointed arched windows of 3-lights with
hoodmoulds flanking south porch. Pointed arch supported on nook shafts with lipped
capitals and hoodmoulds with human head corbels. Pointed arched inner doorway with
moulded surround. Blind quatrefoil panels to each side wall. Buttress at west end
of south side of chancel with 3- and 2-light Perpendicular style pointed arched
windows with hoodmoulds flanking forked pedimented buttress with offsets breaking
around priests doorway with wave-moulded surround and plank door. Pointed arched
each window of 3-lights with hoodmould C15 north aisle east window with labelled
stops to pointed arched hoodmould. North side of north aisle has flat-arched window
of 3 trefoil leaded lights and hoodmould and three 3-light Perpendicular style C19
windows with pointed arches and hoodmould.
Interior: continuous north aisle and chancel chapel arcade of 5 1/2 bays, the 2 chancel
bays and right side of the small bay are C14 with sunken chamfer to the intrados
of each arch. C19 nave arcade of segmental arches with octagonal piers with pyramid
stops. Unmoulded semi-circular tower arch. C19 nave roof of 7 arched-braced
trusses. Chancel roof retains some original timber including the arch braces to the
5 trusses and the wall plate carved with intertwined foliage. C19 furnishings
including late west gallery, hexagonal pulpit, patterned Mawis tiles to altar step.
Stained glass at east end only, dated 1890.
Wall monuments: marble, to Harrieta, wife of Rev. H.S. Pinder d.1839, recording also
rebuilding of chancel AD 1853. Marble wall monument above to John Franklin Square,
rector and to Anne his wife of 1818 and 1801. Draped Greek urn above demi-oval
medallion. Large marble wall monument to Barth Wortley former rector d.1749. Plain
pilasters with consoles and scalloped base with Doric entablature.
Listing NGR: SS6430437736
Other nearby listed buildings