This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1496 / 51°8'58"N
Longitude: -3.8888 / 3°53'19"W
OS Eastings: 267990
OS Northings: 140621
OS Grid: SS679406
Mapcode National: GBR KZ.7SRN
Mapcode Global: VH4MN.KC0K
Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 25 February 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325280
English Heritage Legacy ID: 98553
Location: Challacombe, North Devon, Devon, EX31
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Challacombe
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Challacombe Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
CHALLACOMBE BARTON TOWN
SS 64 SE
2/74 Church of Holy Trinity
Parish church. Tower probably early C16, the nave and chancel entirely rebuilt in
1850 and again restored 1874-5. Random rubble with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs
with gable ends, apex gablets and cross to chancel end. West tower, nave, chancel,
vestry and south porch. Tower of 2 stages with crenellated parapet. Angle
buttresses to north, west and south-west, single buttress to south-east. Polygonal
stair turret to north-east. 2-light bell-openings with 4-centred arches to north
and south, that to south has hoodmould and additional single light bell-opening.
Single-light bell-openings with 4-centred arches to west and east sides with
louvres and hoodmould. Quatrefoil tracery to west window of 2 trefoil-headed
lights, above blocked entry with hollow chamfered 4-centred doorway with relieving
arch above of stone voussoirs. Nave south side has buttress with ashlar off-sets
to each end. 2 windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights flank gabled porch with slate
roof, fleur-de-lis apex gablet, pointed chamfered arched porch doorway with moulded
and stopped surround to inner doorway with plank door. Single trefoil-headed light
window to chancel. Pointed arched 3-light east window with hoodmould. Vestry
window of 2 shoulder-headed lights. Stack with ashlar quoins and crenellated cap.
Pointed arched doorway with chamfered surround to west side. Nave north side has
trefoil-headed windows, 2 of 2-lights, one single light, with buttress at west end.
Unmoulded semi-circular tower arch. Hollow-chamfered surround to 4-centred arched
stair turret doorway. Corbelled-out arch-braced trusses, 4 to nave, 2 to chancel.
Pointed chancel arch with ovolo-moulded inner arch, corbelled out with short marble
colonettes with foliated capitals. Trefoil-headed piscina with hoodmould.
Flanking walls to stone reredos with small quatrefoil and foliated pattern with
ball flower ornamentation to the dado rail. 3 staggered pointed arches to centre
supported on short marble colonettes, fleur-de-lis finials and cusped inner arches.
Quatrefoil panels to stone altar, patterned altar tiles. Wineglass-style pulpit
with human head corbel to the tapered base, cusped headed blind panelling to each
facet with access only via shoulder-headed doorway to vestry. Stained glass to
east window, east end of nave north side (1902) and west end of nave south side
(1901). Early font, probably C14 with twin-pointed arched blind tracery to each
facet of the octagonal bowl supported on circular stem with short colonettes at
Listing NGR: SS6799040621
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings