This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9703 / 50°58'13"N
Longitude: -3.8145 / 3°48'52"W
OS Eastings: 272689
OS Northings: 120557
OS Grid: SS726205
Mapcode National: GBR L2.M1H6
Mapcode Global: FRA 26WK.5Q4
Entry Name: St Rumon's Service Wing and Stable Yard
Listing Date: 20 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325480
English Heritage Legacy ID: 97460
Location: Romansleigh, North Devon, Devon, EX36
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Romansleigh
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Romansleigh St Rumon
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 72 SW
1/55 St Rumon's, service wing and
Rectory, now house. Dated 1860. Rubble, roughcast and whitewashed, wide eaves,
hipped bitumenised slate roof, 2 very tall brick stacks with oversailing courses.
Plan: L-shaped plan, front range square on plan with central staircase hall and
flanking rooms, large service wing at rear of left room. Regency style.
Exterior: 2 storey, 2 window symmetrical entrance front, deep 8-pane sash windows
on ground floor with steps down into the garden, on first floor a 12-pane sash
window to left and a blank window opening to right. Door opening to extreme left in
an angled projecting single-storey porch with a flat roof, to left face a semi-
circular headed door opening in a raised surround, paired 3-panelled doors,
fanlight, to right face of this porch a further door opening, now blocked with a 2-
light casement with glazing bars inserted. Section of ramped down wall to left,
gives onto a stable-yard with a range of one and 2-storey buildings, sasn windows
with glazing bars, plank doors to 3 door openings. Garden front to right return in
conforming style, semi-circular headed niche to centre of ground floor, later 3-
light casement inserted, above a large stairlight with a sash window, to each side a
datestone, to left:- "God Save The Queen A.B. 1584 (sic)"; to right:- "God Save The
Queen J.H.S. 1860".
Interior: coeval joinery including doors, door oases, Jacobean - type staircase and
some minor panelling. Three good fireplaces on ground floor; to drawing room with
marble chimneypiece and acanthus brackets to the mantle-shelf; to library in High
Victorian Gothic style with 4-centred arch head with rich leaf spandrels; fireplace
to kitchen in a fluted surround with roundels.
Listing NGR: SS7268920557
Other nearby listed buildings