This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9877 / 50°59'15"N
Longitude: -3.7219 / 3°43'18"W
OS Eastings: 279240
OS Northings: 122328
OS Grid: SS792223
Mapcode National: GBR L6.L0XX
Mapcode Global: FRA 362H.RTR
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 20 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325507
English Heritage Legacy ID: 97644
Location: Rose Ash, North Devon, Devon, EX36
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Rose Ash
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Rose Ash
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 72 SE ROSE ASH MAZARD TREE HILL
6/113 The Old Rectory
Farmhouse, formerly the rectory. C18 or earlier origins, said to have been built in
1718 (old list description) but appears to have been refurbished and extended in the
C19 and the main range may predate 1718. The home of the Southcombs, who were
rectors without a break from 1675 to 1945. Colourwashed and rendered, the main range
stone to first floor level, cob above (information from owner); slate roof hipped at
ends of main range with crested ridge tiles and deep eaves, end stacks and 2 rear
lateral stacks to main range, axial stacks to rear wings.
Plan: Courtyard plan, a single depth south-facing main range with rear wings to the
west and east forming 3 sides of a rear courtyard which is enclosed by a wall and
agricultural buildings on the north side. The main range, which contains the
principal rooms, has a central entrance into a wide passage facing the stair, which
is in a rear centre wing projecting into the courtyard. The rear wings may be C19
additions the east wing is a kitchen.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 5 window front with an early C19 central Tuscan
porch with a C19 2-leaf half-glazed front door with decorated glass in a good moulded
C17 oak doorframe with ramshorn stops. The doorframe may be re-used. Good set of
early C18 3-light small pane timber casements with old glass. Ground floor windows
unfortunately replaced with C20 aluminium windows. The west wing has a mixture of
circa late C19/early C20 4-pane timber sashes and aluminium windows, on the courtyard
side the windows are mostly late C19/early C20 4-pane sashes.
Interior: Joinery mostly early C19, including a stick baluster stair with a mahogany
Listing NGR: SS7924022328
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings