This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9822 / 50°58'55"N
Longitude: -3.7275 / 3°43'38"W
OS Eastings: 278833
OS Northings: 121728
OS Grid: SS788217
Mapcode National: GBR L5.LKHJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 362J.3NB
Entry Name: Rose Ash House Including Garden Wall to the West
Listing Date: 18 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325512
English Heritage Legacy ID: 97663
Location: Rose Ash, North Devon, Devon, EX36
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Rose Ash
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Rose Ash
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 72 SE ROSE ASH
6/132 Rose Ash House including
garden wall to the
Large house. Probably C16 or C17 origins (information from the owner), remodelled
twice in the C19, once in the circa 1840s and again in 1863. A date plaque on
the rear wall is inscribed. "The west gable was added and the offices rebuilt
AD 1863 by J Tanner Davey, owner", who was the originator and editor of the Devon
Herd Book. Rendered with slate roofs and stacks with brick shafts.
Plan: A south-facing front block, probably double depth with one entrance on
the south (garden) side, another on the west return. 2 rear service wings, at
right angles to the front block, the rear left (west) wing may be part of the
pre C19 house (truncated projecting stack and bread oven), the rear right wing
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical, informal 4 window south front with deep
eaves broken forward and gabled to the front at the left (presumably the 1863
"west gable"), with a canted bay to the right and a variety of C19 and C20
fenestration. In the centre, a half-glazed door to the right and a shallow single-
storey bay to the left with pilasters flanking a window, one 16-pane C19 sash
and one high transomed casement to the first floor. The canted bay to the right
has sash windows. To the left, where the front is broken forward, the gable
is treated like a pediment with a cornice on paired brackets. The ground floor
has a shallow bay with pilasters and a tripartite sash, 4-pane first floor sash
with margin glazing. The left (west) return of the house has a mixture of sashes
and casements and a recessed half-glazed door. A stone rubble garden wall to
the west is included in the listing.
Interior: Not inspected.
The house occupies a prominent position in the centre of Rose Ash village, facing
the village green and with a walled garden to the south. The village centre
consists of a small number of unspoiled buildings, including the church and forms
an attractive and rather unusual group.
Listing NGR: SS7883321728
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings