This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8428 / 50°50'33"N
Longitude: -3.6096 / 3°36'34"W
OS Eastings: 286772
OS Northings: 106037
OS Grid: SS867060
Mapcode National: GBR LB.WCD7
Mapcode Global: FRA 36BW.1LX
Plus Code: 9C2RR9VR+45
Entry Name: The Manor House Barn
Listing Date: 4 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325596
English Heritage Legacy ID: 96495
Location: Cheriton Fitzpaine, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Cheriton Fitzpaine
Built-Up Area: Cheriton Fitzpaine
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Cheriton Fitzpaine
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
1070/7/44 RECTORY HILL
04-NOV-85 CHERITON FITZPAINE
THE MANOR HOUSE BARN
CHERITON FITZPAINE RECTORY HILL, Cheriton Fitzpaine
SS 80 NE
7/44 The Manor House Barn
Barn, originally a house. Probably early C16, converted to bakehouse mid-late C17, north end rebuilt in late C19, used as barn or store in C20. Partly-plastered cob on rubble footings and some C19 timber framing on rubble; rubble stack with C19 brick chimney shaft; slate roof (originally thatch). Long 2-room block facing east comprising large room barn open to roof with byre and hayloft over at right (north) end. Disused axial stack served barn end. Irregular 4-window front. Left end has C19 panelled door flanked by large casements with glazing bars. Right end has first floor 42-pane sash over byre door. Another first floor 42-pane sash in right end. Window with glazing bars right of centre over doorway in C20 blocking of wide full-height doorway. All windows are very dilapidated but still hold some panes of glass. Roof gable-ended to left, hipped to right. Rear elevation is blind.
Interior: barn section has early C16 roof. 4 bays with side-pegged jointed cruck truss. The cruck feet descend into the footings and rest on blocks of oak on surprisingly thin pads. 2 sets of butt purlins and ridge, single sets of windbraces surviving only on the front. Roof is entirely smoke-blackened suggesting that this was an early C16 hall-house with low partitions and an open heath fire. Large late C17-early C18 fireplace has oak lintel chamfered with run-out stops and includes inserted or enlarged bread oven to left. Southern end is complete C19 rebuild.
This would seem to be an early house replaced in late C17 by new house on site of the present Manor House (q.v.) at which time stack inserted and the building used as detached kitchen or bake house [glebe terrier of 1649] and a brew house [terrier of 1727].
A rare and interesting survival - a medieval hall never floored.
SOURCE: The Old Barn at The Manor House, Cheriton Fitzpaine; Keystone Historic Buildings Consultants, report K661, July 2002.
Listing NGR: SS8677206037
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings