This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8011 / 50°48'3"N
Longitude: -3.7991 / 3°47'56"W
OS Eastings: 273312
OS Northings: 101709
OS Grid: SS733017
Mapcode National: GBR L2.YZ86
Mapcode Global: FRA 26XZ.CQM
Entry Name: Collatons
Listing Date: 20 November 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325620
English Heritage Legacy ID: 96516
Location: Bow, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Bow
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bow (or Nymet Tracey) with Broad Nymet
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 70 SW
Large house. Circa 1790 enlarged circa 1830-40. Plastered cob on rubble footings;
rubble stacks with plastered chimney shafts; early if not original slate roofs now
covered with patent coating.
The south-facing main block is of the later build and comprises a double-depth plan
block with front and back rooms either side of central entrance hall and rear
staircase. End stacks. At the rear is the remains of the earlier house, 2 rooms
wide with central cross passage and only just narrower than the later main block.
It is now a service block.
2 storeys. Regency style symmetrical 3-window front. Central doorway has
replacement partly-glazed door, original panelled reveals and flat-roofed timber
porch with Tuscan columns and moulded entablature in which cornice is interrupted by
series of shallow flutings. Porch stands on top of original flight of limestone
steps now with low granite side walls. The ground floor windows either side are C20
horned large-pane replacement sashes but first floor has originals, outer 16-pane
and central 12-pane sash. All have timber architraves and those on ground floor are
eared. The front wall has stucco quoins on corners. The deep eaves cornice rests
on slender shaped brackets and roof is hipped each end. Each end wall is in similar
style and 2 windows wide; the front windows are blind. Rear block fenestration is
mostly C20. Rear (north-facing symmetrical 3-window facade with first floor central
tall round-headed sash, now a C20 replacement with glazing bars. Tripartite sashes
with glazing bars to ground floor either side of central C19 plank door. The same
deep eaves cornice is carried round rear block and roof comprises two pyramids, each
surmounted by sandstone ball finials.
Interior preserves much original plasterwork and joinery including, in the front
block, a geometric stair with stick balusters, mahogany handrail, scrolled wreath
and curtail step.
Listing NGR: SS7331201709
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings