This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9805 / 50°58'49"N
Longitude: -3.5537 / 3°33'13"W
OS Eastings: 291027
OS Northings: 121272
OS Grid: SS910212
Mapcode National: GBR LF.LFK7
Mapcode Global: FRA 36FJ.CB3
Plus Code: 9C2RXCJW+6G
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 5 April 1966
Last Amended: 7 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325687
English Heritage Legacy ID: 96793
Location: Oakford, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16
Civil Parish: Oakford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Oakford St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 92 SW OAKFORD OAKFORD
5/146 Church of St Peter
Parish church. C15 tower, remainder of church rebuilt 1838 by Richard Shackleton
Pope of Bristol; 1882 restoration, mostly of the chancel, by Edward Ashworth, further
restorations of 1903 and 1905 by E Buckle; reseating by Harbottle Reed in 1923.
Stone rubble with slate roof.
Plan: Perpendicular tower, large rectangular nave of 1838 described as 'carpenters
gothic' by Davidson and presumably originally galleried. In 1882 Ashworth made the
chancel more 'correct' and it was further altered, "raised and improved", (memorial
brass) in 1903. Tower arch opened up 1905. It is not clear when the galleries were
removed. Shallow chancel, nave, west tower, south-east vestry, south porch in
centre bay of south side.
Exterior: C15 battlemented tower with corner obelisk pinnacles; diagonal buttresses
and a 3-sided north-east stair turret awkwardly abutting the nave. Small 2-centred
west doorway probably reconstructed 1838; 3-light Perpendicular west windows with
same medieval volcanic stonework; 2-light belfry openings. Gabled chancel with
diagonal buttresses and a high 3-light C19 Perpendicular east window. The 5-bay nave
is buttressed with tall 3-light lancet windows and a tall gabled porch on the south
side with a chamfered 2-centred doorway with a stone inscribed "AD 1838" in the
Interior: Large and light. Plastered walls; chamfered tower arch with an inner
chamfered order at the top; stone chancel arch on moulded corbels. 4 1838 tie beam
roof trusses with king posts and decorative cusped details. Rather plain
furnishings: circa late C18 communion rail with barley sugar balusters; C20 timber
altar and reredos; probably C19 octangonal font with blind quatrefoils on the bowl;
1882 timber drum pulpit and prayer desk by Harry Hems of Exeter; set of plain 1923
benches by Harbottle Reed.
Monuments and stained glass Numerous C18 and C19 wall monuments; one C17 wall
monument to Margrett Spurway and John Spurway, died 1691 and 1692 : Knotted curtains
frame an inscription panel with a child carved in relief, leaning on one elbow carved
below. West window signed Heaton Butler and Bayne circa 1905; east window with
memorial date of 1871 probably by William Wailes; south window in chancel pretty Art
Nouveau design; easternmost window on north side of especial interest, commemorating
Major General John Spurway, died 1903 by the Danish designer, Baron Arild Rose &
Croix; glass executed either by Tiffany or Lowndes and Drury.
Devon Nineteenth-Century Churches Project.
Listing NGR: SS9102721272
Other nearby listed buildings