History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John Baptist

A Grade II Listed Building in Chittlehamholt, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9673 / 50°58'2"N

Longitude: -3.9298 / 3°55'47"W

OS Eastings: 264587

OS Northings: 120424

OS Grid: SS645204

Mapcode National: GBR KX.M88M

Mapcode Global: FRA 26NK.8TP

Entry Name: Church of St John Baptist

Listing Date: 20 February 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1325735

English Heritage Legacy ID: 97174

Location: Chittlehamholt, North Devon, Devon, EX37

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Chittlehamholt

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Chittlehamholt St John

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Chittlehamholt

Listing Text

CHITTLEHAMHOLT
SS 62 SW

3/46 Church of St John Baptist
-
20.2.67
GV II

Parish Church. 1838 by R D Gould. Roughly dressed, coursed stone rubble. Slate Church of St Johy dressed, coursed stone rubble. Slate
roof with coped gable ends.
Aisleless nave with shallow, narrower sanctuary at east end. Entrances to west end
and on north side. Early English style.
Gabletted angle buttresses to east and west ends of nave and to east end of chancel.
Intermediate buttresses between the 5 bays of lancets on north and south sides with
pointed arched hoodmoulds which have unusual hourglass shaped label stops. Stepped
triple lancets to east and west end with moulded surrounds and nook shafts. Steeply
pointed west doorway with heavily moulded surround and plank door of 2 leaves with
strap hinges. Canted north porch with hipped slate roof, pointed arched doorway and
lancet on north-west side.
Interior: Painted plastered walls and segmental pointed arched ceiling. C19
furnishings entirely intact, including nave seating with trefoil pieced bench ends;
stone reredos of 4 blind pointed arched panels with painted texts; wooden altar
table with open traceried front and dies; polygonal pulpit on stone base; altar
rails; timber entrance lobby; font with octagonal bowl supported on slender stem and
modest screen with crenellated headrail, peaked at the centre, supported on
chamfered timber posts.
All windows except one on south side, 2 on north side and west window have diamond
leaded coloured glass. Small stained glass window at east end of north aisle to
Fanny Morgan d. 1939.


Listing NGR: SS6458720424

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.