This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9062 / 50°54'22"N
Longitude: -3.8016 / 3°48'5"W
OS Eastings: 273426
OS Northings: 113400
OS Grid: SS734134
Mapcode National: GBR L2.RBR5
Mapcode Global: FRA 26XQ.4SJ
Entry Name: Church of St. Mary
Listing Date: 25 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325761
English Heritage Legacy ID: 97208
Location: Chulmleigh, North Devon, Devon, EX18
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Chulmleigh
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Cheldon St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 71 SW
6/30 Church of St. Mary
Small parish church. C15 fabric to nave, chancel and probably west tower,
extensively restored, refenestrated and upper section of tower probably rebuilt and
chancel refaced in C19. Unrendered stone rubble, nave rendered. Slate roof to
chancel, asbestos slate roof to nave. Coped parapets with apex crosses.
Plan: west tower, nave, chancel and south porch.
Exterior: squat west tower of 2 stages, the upper stage apparently rebuilt in C19
with high embattled parapets and small square bell-openings to each face. Set back
buttresses. Massive relieving arch above small 2 light C19 window at west end.
Blocked doorway with plain slightly cambered stone lintel. C19 south porch has
gabled slate roof. Unmoulded virtually semi-circular arched doorway with segmental
arched inner doorway. C19 Perpendicular style 3 light window to each side of nave
and to east end.
Interior: C15 or early C16 wagon roof to chancel with crenellated wall-plate with
floriated decoration at intervals, moulded ribs, the central rib with human head
bosses to the base; large bosses at the intersections. C19 wagon roof to nave.
C15/early C16 chancel arch with ogee flanking hollow moulded surround. Late C17 or
early C18 communion rails with barley sugar balusters and pulpit with raised and
fielded panelled sides to the polygonal drum. Stone flag floors with some very worn
late medieval patterned tiles. Unusual chancel "screen" has on each side a C19
timber base, with narrow C18 headrail with small turned balusters surmounted by
elaborate and delicate wrought iron open traceried panels, possibly reused from
family chest tombs. Left side is dated 1743, right side 1737. Both panels are of 3
bays, left side flanked by fluted pilasters with Corinthian capitals surmounted by
Classical torches; on the right side these are placed over the 2 outer bays. Both
panels have central heraldic shields with elaborate scrollwork to the overthrows.
Bench ends in late C15/early C16 style with elaborate Perpendicular and foliated
tracery. Font has elongated lead-lined octagonal bowl on a short stem and square
Monuments: Nave north side. Timber board with painted verse Phil.IV.v.6. Early C18
wall monument with inscription to William Webber. Oval medallion in rectangular
moulded surround, skull to base, angels to head. Small wall tablet on south side
with inscription to Mary Cornwall and Mrs Elston 'concerning whose decease the Reader
is referr'd to ye adjoyning monument'. This has Corinthian pilasters flanking oval
medallion with inscriptions to the above and other members of the finials. C18.
Over south doorway are 2 plaster medallions with busts in relief.
Listing NGR: SS7342613400
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings