This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.9119 / 50°54'42"N
Longitude: -3.8693 / 3°52'9"W
OS Eastings: 268681
OS Northings: 114152
OS Grid: SS686141
Mapcode National: GBR KZ.QZK8
Mapcode Global: FRA 26SP.ND9
Entry Name: Church of St. Mary Magdalene
Listing Date: 25 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325762
English Heritage Legacy ID: 97213
Location: Chulmleigh, North Devon, Devon, EX18
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Chulmleigh
Built-Up Area: Chulmleigh
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Chulmleigh St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
7/35 Church of St Mary Magdalene
Parish church. None of the fabric appears to predate the late C15, with apparently
few later alterations until the restoration of 1878-9 by Ashworth. Unrendered stone
rubble with ashlar dressings. West tower of dressed stone with granite dressings.
Slate roof with coped gable ends and apex crosses.
Plan: west tower, navel chancel, north and south aisles and south porch.
Exterior: Impressive west tower of 4 stages with setback buttresses, crocketted
pinnacles to each of the set-offs, embattled parapet with large pinnacles each
surmounted by a weathervane. 3 light pointed arched bell openings to each face with
slate louvres. 2 light pointed arched granite window to second stage on south side.
Fine granite west straight-headed doorway, with heavily moulded pointed arched
surround, quatrefoil and mouchette traceried spandrels and large decorative label
stops to the hoodmould. Large 4 light west window with pointed arched granite
surround, the mullions replaced in C19. Blind quatrefoil tracery to the sill.
Blocked west window to south aisle. 4 principally C19 Perpendicular style 3-light
windows to south aisle, 2 to centre with human head corbels, and similar 3-light
window at east end. C15 south porch with embattled parapet, diagonal buttresses,
blind quatrefoil traceried panels to the front and canopied niche above ogee hollow
moulded doorway. C19 roof structure. Above the inner doorway is a probably Norman
square stone with a figure of the Crucifixus in a roundel.
Small C19 priests doorway with shouldered head in the angle of south aisle and
chancel. C19 2-light pointed arched window on south side and large Perpendicular
style 5-light east window to east end of chancel, both with human head corbels. C19
vestry on north side has polygonal chimney pot with crenellated cap to gable end
stack. Four 3-light C19 Perpendicular style windows to north aisle and small C15
pointed arched north doorway with ogee hollow moulded surround and cushion stops.
Interior: Continuous north and south arcades of 5 bays with piers of Pevsner 'A' type
with capitals only to the main shafts. Original ceiled wagon-roofs throughout, the
panels in the chancel smaller than the nave and aisles with carved bosses at the
intersections of the ribs and angel figures bearing shields to the wallplates of nave
and chancel. Tall granite tower arch, the imposts of Pevsner 'A' type. Impressive
C16 screen restored in 1914 across nave and aisles, 15 bays in all, with standard
Pevsner 'A' type tracery, original ribbed coving, tracery decoration between the ribs
and cornices with 3 bands of close ornament and cresting.
C19 chancel fittings, stone reredos, patterned tiled floor and piscina in north wall.
C19 nave and chancel seating with coved bench ends. Pulpit 1869 by Fulford, with
elaborate traceried panels to the polygonal drum and curved figures in canopied
niches at the angles. C19 font. Fine centrally placed wrought iron chandelier.
Funerary helm, possibly late C16 towards east end of north aisle.
Stained glass: some of the glass is by Hardman. East windows of chancel and aisles
have windows in memory of Revd. George Hole, d.1859. South side of south aisle to
John Adams Tidboald and wife, Revd. Marsden Gilson (erected 1903), Margaret Hanson,
d.1917. West window not accessible.
Monuments: south aisle to Revd. Webb, d.1767 and wife; early C18 Baroque monument to
children of Humphrey Bury Esq., in high relief, with oval tablet flanked by angels,
large achievement and cherubs head to base; and to Mary Stucley Palmer and Richard
Stucley by Kendall of Exeter.
Listing NGR: SS6868214153
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings