History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hart's Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Clayhidon, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9032 / 50°54'11"N

Longitude: -3.1812 / 3°10'52"W

OS Eastings: 317036

OS Northings: 112191

OS Grid: ST170121

Mapcode National: GBR LX.RKVF

Mapcode Global: FRA 467Q.6GW

Entry Name: Hart's Farmhouse

Listing Date: 15 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1325864

English Heritage Legacy ID: 95667

Location: Clayhidon, Mid Devon, Devon, EX15

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Clayhidon

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Clayhidon St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Hemyock

Listing Text

ST 11 SE CLAYHIDON
6/10 Hart's Farmhouse
-
II
Farmhouse. Probably a mid C17 remodelling of an earlier building, with later
alterations. Random rubble chert; gable end slate roof. Plan: 4 room (possibly
originally a 3 room) through-passage plan house. The first hall (heated by an axial
stack backing onto the passage) is to the right of the passage; the service end
detailing suggests that in the C17 this became the principal room. It is heated by
an axial (formerly an end) stack. It is likely that at this time were added the
left-hand room (heated by a now truncated external rear lateral stack) and the wing
to the rear of this and the original service room. The wing contains high-quality
moulded ceiling beams that are not in situ, and these may have been removed from the
early hall when it was reduced in status. The rear wing has both an axial and a
truncated end stack. Extant shafts are of brick except the original hall stack
which is of dressed stone with moulded cap and weathering. Main stairs to rear of
the early hall. 2 storeys.
Exterior Front: 5 window range. Except for one C19 casement, all are C20 casement
windows. 2 doors, that to the passage with slate-roofed porch. Some buttressing.
A datestone, the date unfortunately too weathered to be read, appears to have
decoration of circa 1650. Rear: C19 casement windows with brick surrounds to rear
wing. C19 outshut. To one side of the truncated rear stack mentioned above are the
remains of an external flight of stone stairs.
Interior: principal room (to left of passage from which it was divided by a now
dismantled plank and muntin screen) with cross ceiling beam, chamfered with scroll
stops. Access from this to the extreme left-hand room is through a doorway arch
with cranked lintel with an incised decorative loop at its apex. This room has 3
cross ceiling beams, chamfered and unstopped. Right-hand rooms with roughly worked
(or boxed) cross ceiling beams. Rear wing with 3 cross ceiling beams with composite
cavetto and convex mouldings: these look C16, and are not in situ. There are 2
other doorway arches on the first floor similar to that described above, with the
notched loop decorative moulding. Historical note: a painting of the house by
Robert Bevan (a Camden Town School artist) is in the possession of the Ashmolean
Museum, Oxford.


Listing NGR: ST1703612191

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.