This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6938 / 50°41'37"N
Longitude: -4.0743 / 4°4'27"W
OS Eastings: 253587
OS Northings: 90295
OS Grid: SX535902
Mapcode National: GBR NZ.5P90
Mapcode Global: FRA 27C7.LK8
Entry Name: Church of St Thomas of Canterbury
Listing Date: 22 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325962
English Heritage Legacy ID: 94368
Location: Sourton, West Devon, Devon, EX20
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Sourton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Sourton
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 59 SW
8/127 Church of St Thomas of Canterbury
Parish church. C14 chancel rebuilt in 1848, the rest C15, restored in 1881. The
chancel walls are of local stone rubble, otherwise the walls are of granite ashlar.
Gable ended slate roofs with C19 coping stones to gables.
Plan comprises nave, chancel, north aisle, west tower and south porch. The chancel
probably has the earliest origins dating back to the C14 although it was
substantially rebuilt in 1848. The rest of the Church is C15 - the aisle judging
from its windows is late C15 but it may postdate the nave and tower. The south
porch has no dateable features and was probably also largely rebuilt in the C19.
The Church was restored in 1881.
3-stage west tower is crenellated with 4 plain pinnacles and set back buttresses
with off-sets. Chamfered plinth. 2-light straight-headed belfry lights. The west
doorway has a 4-centred stone arch with hollow and roll moulding and an arched
hoodmould which continues as a stringcourse. The west window is granite with 3
lights and simple tracery in the Decorated style which has probably been restored.
Above the window is an arched hoodmould which continues as the stringcourse. The
north aisle has a 2-light straight-headed chamfered granite mullion window in its
west wall which is likely to have been inserted in the C17. The 2 north windows
have moulded granite jambs and chamfered mullions with cinquefoiled heads. The
right-hand window has had its head restored and is 2-light; the other is original
and of 3 lights. Both have square hoodmoulds. Between the 2 is a buttress. At the
east end of the aisle is a 2-light granite window with very simple late
Perpendicular tracery. The aisle has a coved granite cornice and a chamfered
plinth. The east window is a 3-light C19 restoration in the Decorated style.- On
the south side the chancel has 2 windows -a similar 2-light restored Decorated style
window to the left and a single trefoiled lancet to its right which is of granite
with an arched hoodmould and is probably original. The south aisle has a coved
stone cornice and chamfered plinth. Its window to the east is probably original, of
granite with 3 cinquefoiled lights, the central one taller. To the west of the
porch is a 2-light mullion window with probably restored mullion and cinquefoiled
heads. The single storey gabled south porch has a plain rubble stone arched doorway
with chamfered imposts. Above it is a slate sundial.
Interior: Porch has plastered wagon roof. Remains of holy water stoup. The
granite south doorway has an acute 4-centred arch with hollow chamfer and worn
stops. The interior of the church has been rendered in the C20. 3-bay granite
arcade to north aisle of depressed 4-centred arches with Pevsner A-type piers which
have deep moulded cup capitals and moulded bases. Similar tall 4-centred chancel
arch which springs from a corbel on the left-hand side. Tall rendered pointed tower
arch. The rood screen has been removed but the opening to its stairs survives.
There is a squint from the aisle to the chancel.
Roof: Over the nave and aisle are wagon roofs which incorporate some old timbers.
The roof to the nave has carvings in high relief to its purlins and principal raftes
with some old colouring of red and gold surviving. The bosses and wall-plates have
been renewed. The aisle roof is very similar but uncoloured and also preserves its
old wall-plate on the north side which has crude carved angels holding shields. The
chancel roof is completely renewed and the seating is also C19. Large royal coat of
arms of Charles II is preserved on the north wall but was formerly in the tower.
C20 granite font.
Sources: Beatrix Cresswell - Churches in the Deanery of Okehampton : White's
Directory 1878 ; Kelly's Directory 1897.
Listing NGR: SX5358790295
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings