This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6642 / 50°39'51"N
Longitude: -3.8646 / 3°51'52"W
OS Eastings: 268314
OS Northings: 86605
OS Grid: SX683866
Mapcode National: GBR Q9.SH0S
Mapcode Global: FRA 27SB.46X
Entry Name: Water Tower, Stables, Coach House and Cottages Approximately 4 Metres North-East of Outer Down
Listing Date: 16 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1326009
English Heritage Legacy ID: 94591
Location: Chagford, West Devon, Devon, TQ13
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Chagford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Chagford St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 68 NE CHAGFORD
3/62 Water tower, stables, coach house
- and cottages approximately 4 metres
north-east of Outer Down
Water tower, stables, coach house and 2 cottages. Dated 1911. Snecked granite with
some granite stone rubble to rear; granite stacks with ashlar chimney shafts; slate
Plan: the buildings enclose 3 sides of a courtyard. The front block faces outwards,
to the south. It comprises a water tower and cottage connected by an arch over a
carriageway into the courtyard. The coach house and cottage makes up the east wing
and on the north side are the stables. Both these wings face into the courtyard.
The cottages originally were occupied by groom and coachman. Both cottages have 2-
room plans but the front one is larger and both its rooms are heated. Both cottages
are 2 storeys.
Exterior: the water tower is tall. The front contains a 2-light granite-mullioned
window with a slit window above and below. It has a coved eaves cornice and the
pyramid roof has sprocketted eaves. It is surmounted by a brass weather vane dated
1911. Alongside to left is an external stair with a granite parapet rising over a
small archway. To right is the large round-headed carriageway arch containing its
original double doors. Further right the cottage has a regular but not symmetrical
2-window front of granite-mullioned windows and central plank door behind a probably
secondary porch. Its roof is hipped each end.
Inside the courtyard the coach house has 2 large sliding doors and the space in front
is sheltered by a glass roof on cast iron posts. The cottage to left has a 5-window
front, one of them blocking the original doorway. The stable door has side lights
and to left is another door to the stallion box. Most of the original features are
retained and the stables, for instance, has the original stall furniture.
Listing NGR: SX6831486605
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings