This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6676 / 50°40'3"N
Longitude: -3.8571 / 3°51'25"W
OS Eastings: 268858
OS Northings: 86972
OS Grid: SX688869
Mapcode National: GBR Q9.SBY5
Mapcode Global: FRA 27T9.TCN
Entry Name: Waye Barton
Listing Date: 16 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1326012
English Heritage Legacy ID: 94606
Location: Chagford, West Devon, Devon, TQ13
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Chagford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Chagford St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 68 NE CHAGFORD
3/77 Waye Barton
House, former barton. Early C17, rearranged and partly rebuilt in early C19,
refurbished circa 1982. Granite stone rubble walls with large dressed granite
quoins, the early C19 section was originally stuccoed but is now exposed; granite
stacks with granite ashlar chimney shafts; slate roof.
Plan and development: L-shaped building. The principal rooms are in the north-east
facing early C19 block which has a 2-room plan with with a central entrance hall and
stairs projecting to rear. Each room here has a rear lateral stack. A wing which
is all that remains from the earlier house projects forward from the right (north-
eastern) and was converted to service use in the early C19. It has a 2-room plan
with a lobby between and end stacks. Behind the rear of this wing is a C19 store.
Both blocks are 2 storeys but the early C19 block is taller.
Exterior: The early C19 block has a symmetrical 3-window front arranged around a
central doorway; the original panelled door, overlight with a pattern of glazing
bars, panelled reveals and doorcase with incised pilasters and moulded entablatures.
It is flanked by early C20 French windows built into the original window embrasures.
The first floor windows are original, a central 12-pane sash flanked by 16-pane
sashes. All these windows have flat concrete architraves put there circa 1969 when
the stucco was removed. On the rear the stair turret contains a tall 18-pane sash.
Roof is hipped to left, gable-ended to right.
The early C17 wing faces south-east and has an irregular 4-window front. All except
1 are original with hollow-chamfered granite mullions and contain C20 rectangular
panes of leaded glass. The doorway left of centre is also original; an elliptical
arch with broad ovolo-moulded surround. Roof here is gable-ended. Some C20 outshots
on rear and C20 back door is made up from pieces of C17 moulded granite found in the
Interior: The early C19 interior of the main block is well-preserved and of good
quality. The earlier block was refurbished circa 1982 but the early C17 fabric
survives substantially intact. In the left room (adjoining the Georgian block) the
crossbeam is soffit-chamfered with scroll stops. The fireplace here is blocked. The
partition to the central lobby is an oak plank-and-muntin screen with unusually
narrow muntins. The beam here is a replacement and the oak stairs date from circa
1982. In the right room the crossbeam is boxed in but the original fireplace is
exposed, built of granite with a soffit-chamfered and late step stopped oak lintel.
On the first floor the left end chamber contains some delightful ornamental moulded
plasterwork dated 1636. Above a probably blocked fireplace in the end wall there is
a rectangular plaque defined by a broad rib enriched with flowers and with small
carnation sprays on the corners. It contains a winged cherub head in the middle of
the date 1636. Above and below are the initials IP, each separated by a number, 23
and 27. This is very unusual and appears to commemorate ages with initials. Maybe
it is a wedding plaque. There is a shield to right but a left one is missing. There
is other plasterwork around the room including royal badges with the initials CR,
moulded cornices along the purlins, 1 purlin has a frieze along its front, and other
floral sprays. In the middle chamber (now a stair landing) there is a late C17
painted plaque with a Biblical (mis)quotation. The original roof survives comprising
The older wing is the remains of a high quality house. It was the home of the Prouz
family in the C16 and up to 1664. One of the plaster initials probably commemorates
one John Prouz.
Source: Devon SMR.
Listing NGR: SX6885886972
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings