History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wood House Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in South Tawton, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7452 / 50°44'42"N

Longitude: -3.9104 / 3°54'37"W

OS Eastings: 265310

OS Northings: 95699

OS Grid: SX653956

Mapcode National: GBR Q7.7H7P

Mapcode Global: FRA 27P3.QCM

Entry Name: Wood House Lodge

Listing Date: 4 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1326115

English Heritage Legacy ID: 94986

Location: South Tawton, West Devon, Devon, EX20

County: Devon

District: West Devon

Civil Parish: South Tawton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: South Tawton St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
South Tawton

Listing Text

SX 69 NE SOUTH TAWTON

1/189 Wood House Lodge


GV II

Lodge to Wood House (q.v.). 1899-1905 by Thomas Mawson or Dan Gibson, renovated and
enlarged circa 1980. Roughcast walls and stacks of stone rubble or brick; granite
ashlar detail; slate roof.
Plan: originally a 2- or 3-room plan cottage facing onto the drive to north. T-
shaped plan with 2-room main block and right end gable end stack. Gabled bay
projects forward just left of centre. This may originally have been a separate room
and it has a projecting lateral stack on the left side. Entrance porch in angle of
front bay (right side) and main block. Circa 1980 the rooms were all knocked into
one and new service rooms built onto the rear. Single storey.
Exterior: the gabled front end of the bay has a canted bay window with 2-lights each
side; granite mullioned with roll-moulded elliptical head lights and sunken
spandrels. It contains replacement rectangular panes of leaded glass. To right of
the bay a plain granite mullioned 2-light window with simple slate dripcourse above
(a 3-light version in the right end wail). Panelled oak door to porch. Roofs are
gable-ended.
Interior: is largely the result of the circa 1980 renovation.
This lodge is part of an extensive landscaping scheme conceived by Mawson to go with
the rebuilding of Wood House (q.v.). Mawson himself considered the whole scheme as
one of his major achievements.
Source: T H Mawson The Art and Craft of Garden Making, (5th edition) includes
copious notes and illustrations of Wood House.


Listing NGR: SX6531095699

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.