History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gate Posts and Gates Approximately 350 Metres South West of Wood House

A Grade II Listed Building in South Tawton, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7454 / 50°44'43"N

Longitude: -3.9106 / 3°54'38"W

OS Eastings: 265297

OS Northings: 95712

OS Grid: SX652957

Mapcode National: GBR Q7.797N

Mapcode Global: FRA 27P3.Q9C

Entry Name: Gate Posts and Gates Approximately 350 Metres South West of Wood House

Listing Date: 4 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1305916

English Heritage Legacy ID: 94985

Location: South Tawton, West Devon, Devon, EX20

County: Devon

District: West Devon

Civil Parish: South Tawton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: South Tawton St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
South Tawton

Listing Text

SX 69 NE SOUTH TAWTON

1/188 Gate posts and gates approximately
350 metres south-west of Wood
House
GV II


Gate posts and gates to the main entrance drive of Wood House (q.v.). 1899-1905 by
Thomas Mawson. Granite ashlar with some roughcast brick or stone rubble; wrought
iron gates.
Plan and description: the gateway is set back a short distance from the road to the
west. Granite ashlar gate posts are square in section with chamfered plinths and
soffit-moulded caps surmounted by obelisks with wrought iron fleur-de-lys finials.
The gate piers and full height double gates are wrought iron. Double lock bars and
double top rails infilled with scrollwork. The gate piers are surmounted by
scrolled finials and the centre of the gateway has an ornate crest in the manner of
an overthrow. The top panel of each gate contains an heraldic device in a circular
frame. Either side of the gate posts a wall projects outward then turns at an angle
projecting forwards and outwards. This wall is made up of roughcast panels defined
by rusticated granite ashlar. In front a low quadrant fence of plain granite posts
with iron rails between.
This is the main gateway to the drive through the grounds to Wood House. It is part
of the extensive landscaped garden scheme conceived by Mawson to go with the
rebuilding of Wood House (q.v.). Mawson himself considered the whole scheme as one
of his major achievements.
Source: T H Mawson The Art and Craft of Garden Making, (5th edition) includes
copious notes and illustrations of Wood House.


Listing NGR: SX6529795712

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.