This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.6446 / 54°38'40"N
Longitude: -3.1919 / 3°11'30"W
OS Eastings: 323178
OS Northings: 528378
OS Grid: NY231283
Mapcode National: GBR 6G4Q.RT
Mapcode Global: WH6ZZ.YJ66
Entry Name: Mirehouse
Listing Date: 3 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1326263
English Heritage Legacy ID: 72102
Location: Bassenthwaite, Allerdale, Cumbria, CA12
Civil Parish: Bassenthwaite
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Binsey Team
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 22 NW BASSENTHWAITE
House. Probably late C17 with C18 alterations for the Gregg family; 1790 wings
for Thomas Story and rear extensions of 1830 by Joseph Cantwell for John
Spedding, with further extension of 1851 and 1883. Painted-roughcast walls,
with angle pilasters and eaves cornice, on chamfered plinth; quoined
extensions. Graduated greenslate roof, with ashlar and yellow brick chimney
stacks. 2 storeys, 7 bays with flanking 2-storey, single-bay wings; lower
drawing-room extension to right and 2-storey, 3-bay servants' wing to left.
Panelled and glazed double doors in tetrastyle Ionic porch. Sash windows with
glazing bars in stone architraves. Wings have 2-storey canted bays under hipped
roofs, with 4-light sash windows, those lights in centre with rounded heads.
Right extension has sash windows with glazing bars in eared architraves.
Servants' wing has mixed fenestration, mostly with glazing bars in stone
surrounds. Rear panelled door, sash windows with glazing bars and Venetian
staircase window, all in stone surrounds. Interior is wholly late C18 and C19.
Panelled doors throughout in panelled reveals, that into drawing-room extension
under radial fanlight. Panelled shutters to most windows. Moulded plaster
ceilings and cornices in ground-floor rooms. Given by the Earl of Derby to his
agent Roger Gregg before 1688 and remained in that family and their kinsmen the
Storys, until 1802, when it was left to the Speddings of Armathwaite Hall.
Still the home of the Spedding family and open to the public. Of particular
interest for its associations with Thomas Carlyle, Tennyson and other literary
friends of James Spedding (1808-1881), who were frequent visitors to the house.
Listing NGR: NY2317828378
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings