History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Bega

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bassenthwaite, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.6479 / 54°38'52"N

Longitude: -3.2 / 3°12'0"W

OS Eastings: 322662

OS Northings: 528748

OS Grid: NY226287

Mapcode National: GBR 6G3P.0N

Mapcode Global: WH6ZZ.TFCQ

Entry Name: Church of St Bega

Listing Date: 3 March 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1332957

English Heritage Legacy ID: 72100

Location: Bassenthwaite, Allerdale, Cumbria, CA12

County: Cumbria

District: Allerdale

Civil Parish: Bassenthwaite

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Binsey Team

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Sunderland

Listing Text

NY 22 NW BASSENTHWAITE

7/16 Church of St Bega

3.3.67
II*

Parish church. C12 and C13, with restoration of 1874 by Messrs S. Watson of
Penrith. Dressed calciferous sandstone, the larger blocks medieval, with angle
buttresses and flush quoins of pink sandstone. Graduated greenslate roof with
coped gables and cross finials. 2-bay nave with south aisle and vestry, west
open bellcote; single-bay chancel with south chapel continuous with aisles and
vestry. Nave has C19 north round-headed doorway within stone porch. C19
2-light north window and double-lancet west window under round plate-tracery
window. South aisle has paired lancet windows; vestry shouldered windows.
Chancel has blocked north doorway and window with 2 cusped lights. C19 3-light
east window and chapel with C19 lancets. Interior of nave has C19 open timber
roof and single pointed aisle archway. Unmoulded chancel arch on simple
imposts. South door now leads to vestry, near which is a medieval graveslab to
Robert Highmore and wall plaque to Mary Wane of Scarness 1741. Royal arms of
George II and recut octagonal font. Wrought-iron hourglass stand beside chancel
arch. Chancel has side chapel archway similar to aisle. Floor paving includes
medieval graveslab to a Highmore. Wall plaque to Walter Vane, 1814 by Paul
Nixson of Carlisle. Stained glass east window and aisle windows of 1874 by
Powell Bros of Leeds. See Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian &
Archaeological Society, new series, 1xvi, pp 276-292.


Listing NGR: NY2266228748

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.