This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5514 / 50°33'4"N
Longitude: -3.9414 / 3°56'29"W
OS Eastings: 262558
OS Northings: 74198
OS Grid: SX625741
Mapcode National: GBR Q6.FMBD
Mapcode Global: FRA 27ML.Y0R
Entry Name: Prince Hall
Listing Date: 28 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1326396
English Heritage Legacy ID: 92752
Location: Dartmoor Forest, West Devon, Devon, PL20
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Dartmoor Forest
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Holne St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 67 SW
15/19 Prince Hall
Small country house used as hotel. Circa 1780-90. Plastered stone walls. Slate
roof with overhanging sprocketted eaves, hipped to left end and gabled to wing. 3
rendered stacks, one at left-hand end, one axial to main range and one at right-hand
end of wing.
Plan: Main range with cross-wing at right-hand end. Main range has entrance hall
running longitudinally along the entrance front with a small room at its right end.
Behind the hall, facing the garden, are two principal rooms. The cross wing to the
left has a further principal room facing the garden and service rooms at the rear.
The staircase is at the front of the entrance hall.
Exterior: 2 storeys with attic. Asymmetrical 4:2 window garden front with slightly
projecting wing to right. 12-pane hornless sashes, some of which may be original;
to the ground floor of the main range are C20 4-pane sashes. Roundheaded window on
2nd floor of wing. Rear entrance front has wing projecting to the left with
original tall roundheaded stair window. C20 porch at centre of main range with
probably original double 6-panelled doors. Inside door to house has fanlight above.
Interior: 2 of the principal rooms have marble chimneypieces with tapering
octagonal columns, that in the left-hand end room has its original grate with square
opening. This room has a decorative cornice and ceiling band. The central room has
a plain moulded band and cornice. The original staircase survives - open string
with turned balusters and turned and moulded newels with finials. Other original
joinery such as 6-panelled doors and panelled shutters survive.
Outside, at the left-hand end of the-house on the entrance side, is a rectangular
cobbled courtyard bounded on 3 sides by a tall crenellated wall, opposite to the
house is a former coach house, now roofless.
Prince Hall is one of the 17 Ancient Tenements of the Forest of Dartmoor first
mentioned in documents in 1521. In 1780 a Mr Gullet bought the site and began
improvements to the buildings which were completed by Francis Buller a distinguished
lawyer and judge when he bought the property in the late 1780s. A print of 1797
depicts the house in a similar form to that in which it survives.
Source : W Crossing - "A Hundred Years on Dartmoor" ; Dartmoor : A New study -
Enclosure and the Improvers - J S Cocks.
Listing NGR: SX6255874198
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.