History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Meavy House

A Grade II Listed Building in Meavy, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.4868 / 50°29'12"N

Longitude: -4.0578 / 4°3'27"W

OS Eastings: 254117

OS Northings: 67246

OS Grid: SX541672

Mapcode National: GBR Q0.LMKH

Mapcode Global: FRA 27DR.T4Z

Entry Name: Meavy House

Listing Date: 26 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1326407

English Heritage Legacy ID: 92705

Location: Meavy, West Devon, Devon, PL20

County: Devon

District: West Devon

Civil Parish: Meavy

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Find accommodation in
Meavy

Listing Text

MEAVY MEAVY
SX 56 NW
4/119 Meavy House
-
GV II

House, formerly vicarage. C17 re-modelled and extended in C18 and C19. Stucco and
rendered rubble walls. Gable ended slate roof. 3 rendered stacks, one at each gable
end of main part of house and lateral stack at rear.
According to a terrier of 1613 (which locates this building in relation to the
Church) the house then consisted of hall, parlour with chamber over and 2 other
ground floor rooms with 2 chambers over. A malthouse or beerhouse was adjoining.
These were all on the north side of a courtyard; on the south side was a dovehouse,
a stable and a little gatehouse. There was a barn on the west side of the
courtyard.
A terrier of 1680 lists hall, parlour, kitchen, dairy and buttery with a gallery and
4 chambers above. The size of the house appears to have been little altered by 1727
according to the terrier of that date although there is no mention of the
gatehouse. Although the earliest terrier makes it clear that the hall was still
unceiled the subsequent ones do not specify where the chambers were - though the
number remains the same - making it difficult to assess when the hall was floored
over.
Hall heated by rear lateral stack, lower room probably unheated. In later C18 the
house was extended by one room at the right-hand end and a wing was added behind
this extension in the late C18/early C19. The house was refronted probably at this
stage then further extended at the right-hand end in the circa mid C19 and early
C20.
2 storeys. Asymmetrical 5 window front of early C19 16 and 12 pane hornless sashes
on the 1st floor. On the ground floor is a 16 pane sash to the left, a 4-light C19
casement with small panes to the left of centre and a late C19 4-pane sash to the
right. To the right of centre is early C19 plaster doorcase of pilasters with
moulded cornice; C19 4 panelled door, heavily moulded. The simply moulded eaves
cornice is probably C18. Set back slightly from the right gable end is mid C19
extension with C20 addition projecting to the front from the right-hand end.
Interior: Early C19 open string stick baluster staircase inserted into former inner
room.
Source: D.R.O.


Listing NGR: SX5411767246

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.