History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Rectory

A Grade II* Listed Building in Asby, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5127 / 54°30'45"N

Longitude: -2.495 / 2°29'42"W

OS Eastings: 368047

OS Northings: 513154

OS Grid: NY680131

Mapcode National: GBR CJ08.M3

Mapcode Global: WH935.NT3W

Entry Name: Old Rectory

Listing Date: 6 February 1968

Last Amended: 19 May 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1326996

English Heritage Legacy ID: 73248

Location: Asby, Eden, Cumbria, CA16

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

Civil Parish: Asby

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Asby St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Great Asby

Listing Text

NY 6813 ASBY GREAT ASBY


15/9 Old Rectory
(formerly listed as
6.2.68 Great Asby Rectory)

II*

Private house (Rectory up to 1983). 2 storey 'U'-shaped plan under graduated
slate roof with stepped stone chimneys and stone copings. North end C14,
possibly a Solar rather than a tower-house. Squared, coursed rubble with quoins
on massive plinth. Remains of earlier copings show roof was once more steeply
pitched than at present. Single square-headed C17 mullioned 2-light window with
hoodmould to ground floor on north and east sides (north has cavetto moulding);
three similar 3-light windows under continuous hoodmould to 1st floor north are
C19. Pointed window to 1st floor east is C14 with 2 trefoil-headed lights
(quatrefoil between), mullion, transom, and hoodmould. Access to barrel-
vaulted undercroft through dog-legged passage on south side (now within 1834
rear extension); both original doorways survive with pointed heads and chamfered
surrounds (outer has hoodmould). In 1983 a C14 deeply-splayed slit window was
discovered inside undercroft in middle of north wall; 1st floor has large late
C17/early C18 stone fireplace with false 4-centred arch and moulded shelf. Main
block of slobbered rubble, probably C17 (replacement of earlier building) with
inserted C19 doorcase and 2 sashes on east side; square head of stair window on
west side re-used C14 (with 2 ogee lights) from church. South block of snecked
rubble added 1866; sashes to north and east walls, 2-light gothic revival window
to 1st floor east. (All C19 sashes are without glazing bars and most have
hoodmoulds). 1670 wooden lock presented to Rectory by Anne Countess of Pembroke
(mentioned in R.C.H.M. & previous list) now (1983) kept in Parish Church.


Listing NGR: NY6804713154

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.