History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Castlerigg Hall Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in St John's Castlerigg and Wythburn, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5929 / 54°35'34"N

Longitude: -3.1124 / 3°6'44"W

OS Eastings: 328216

OS Northings: 522535

OS Grid: NY282225

Mapcode National: GBR 6HPB.YC

Mapcode Global: WH707.5T4D

Entry Name: Castlerigg Hall Farmhouse

Listing Date: 8 August 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1327193

English Heritage Legacy ID: 72174

Location: St. John's Castlerigg and Wythburn, Allerdale, Cumbria, CA12

County: Cumbria

District: Allerdale

Civil Parish: St John's Castlerigg and Wythburn

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Keswick St John

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Keswick

Listing Text

NY 22 SE ST JOHNS CASTLERIGG & WYTHBURN CASTLERIGG

12/89 Castlerigg Hall
Farmhouse

II

Farmhouse. Early C17 with mid C17 extension. Painted roughcast walls, partly
on large boulder plinth. Graduated greenslate roof with large square central
C17 stone chimney stack and 2 smaller original chimney stacks on extension. 2
storeys, 4 bays with left rear lower right-angled 4-bay extension. Oldest part,
facing road, has Yorkshire sash windows with glazing bars and small central
upper-floor firewindow, all in plain reveals. Rear has small irregularly spaced
C20 windows in plain reveals. Extension has boarded door in plain opening.
Casement windows, some with fixed panes, over larger ground-floor Yorkshire-sash
window. Smaller upper-floor right firewindow. Interior of oldest part has 2
blocked inglenooks on either side of the large central chimney stack. Extension
interior has beamed ground-floor ceiling, inglenook with firebeam and heck
partition. Spice-cupboard door dated 1648 was removed from extension inglenook
in a rotten condition. Known as How Place in the 1640's, according to deeds in
the owner's possession. Ancestral home of the Wren family. Further courtyard
extension and adjoining barn are not of interest.


Listing NGR: NY2821622535

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.