This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.7629 / 54°45'46"N
Longitude: -3.2422 / 3°14'31"W
OS Eastings: 320170
OS Northings: 541598
OS Grid: NY201415
Mapcode National: GBR 5FSC.WD
Mapcode Global: WH6ZD.5KC0
Entry Name: Whitehall
Listing Date: 25 April 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1327216
English Heritage Legacy ID: 72309
Location: Allhallows, Allerdale, Cumbria, CA7
Civil Parish: Allhallows
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Binsey Team
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 24 SW ALLHALLOWS Mealsgate
Tower house now private house. Partly C14 and C15 with alterations dated and
inscribed on stone under coat-of-arms LANCELOTUS SALKELD FILIUS THOMAE SALKELD
HOC FIERI FECIT 1589; further alterations by Anthony Salvin dated and inscribed
on rainwater heads GM 1861 (George Moore). Extremely thick walls of mixed red
and calciferous sandstone rubble, partly squared and coursed, under battlemented
parapet and angle turret with flush quoins. Tower has graduated greenslate roof
between parapets; hall range under graduated greenslate roof with coped gable
and ball finials; stone chimney stacks. 3-storey, 2-bay tower with 2-storey,
3-bay hall range to right, which by the coursing of the stone appears
contemporary with the tower. C19 plank door under C19 Tudor arch inscribed (by
George Moore) LET IT PLEASE THEE TO BLESS THE HOUSE OF THY SERVANT, with
original C16 hoodmould inscribed TS on label stops. 2-light Tudor style windows
are partly C16, but some are completely C19. Small carved stone coat-of-arms
built into wall at first floor level. Projection to left linked with 1861-1907
extension, (demolished 1962 leaving only foundation courses). Window to left is
in C19 blocked first-floor doorway to extension. Hall has C19 ground floor
windows. Central blocked C16 doorway above, has hoodmould with coat-of-arms
label stops. Original 3-light Tudor window to left under hoodmould with T.S.
label stops. End wall right has small C16 carved-stone coat-of-arms. Rear wall
of Tower has blocked ground-floor Tudor window. Small chamfered-surround window
to left and blocked openings above originally lit newel staircase. All other
windows are C19 Tudor style. C19 uninscribed panel at first floor level. Rear
wall of hall has C15 chamfered-surround ground floor window with 3-light Tudor
window above under hoodmould. Interior of tower has extensive C19 alterations.
Newel staircase from second floor to parapet, was originally from ground floor
and continued up into turret. Ground floor of hall has fireplace dated and
inscribed W. & L. P.M. (Parkin-Moore) 1900. Upper floor room has Tudor-style
stone fireplace and panelled plaster ceiling inscribed on central cartouche G. &
A.M. Was in Salkeld hands until 1746 when it fell into ruins. Restored by
George Moore after purchase in 1858. Sold to County Council after World War II,
who passed it to the Civil Defence Corps for demolition training in l960's.
Sold by Council and now owned by the original owners Parkin-Moore. See J.F.
Curwen, Castles & Towns of Cumberland & Westmorland, 1913, pp405-6; Whitehall in
Cumberland, 1865 pp l-28.
Listing NGR: NY2017041598
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings