This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.762 / 54°45'43"N
Longitude: -3.2566 / 3°15'23"W
OS Eastings: 319238
OS Northings: 541504
OS Grid: NY192415
Mapcode National: GBR 5FPC.RR
Mapcode Global: WH6ZC.YKDS
Entry Name: Harby Brow Tower, Adjoining Farmhouse and Barn
Listing Date: 11 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1327215
English Heritage Legacy ID: 72307
Location: Allhallows, Allerdale, Cumbria, CA7
Civil Parish: Allhallows
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Binsey Team
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 14 SE ALLHALLOWS
5/2 Harby Brow Tower,
Tower house, farmhouse and adjoining barn. C15 for Alexander Highmoor, early
C19 farmhouse, replacing hall range dated by inscription retained inside THYS
HOUSE WAS BUILDED IN THE FOURH YERE OF THE RYNE OF KYNG EDWARDE THE SEX WHAN A
BOUSCHEL OF WETE WAS AT viis, A BOUSCHEL OF BERE A NOWBEL, MAULT iiiis ST(ONE)
MORE, with porch inscribed THE BLESSING OF THE LORD IT MAKETH RICH G.A.M.
(George Moore) THIS PORCH WAS BUILT AD 1876. Tower of large blocks of mixed red
and yellow sandstone, with battlemented parapet and flush red sandstone quoins,
on large plinth stones. Farmhouse and barn of coursed red sandstone rubble
under graduated greenslate roof with rendered chimney stacks. 4-storey tower,
adjoining farmhouse to left 2 storeys, 3 bays with barn continuing to left under
common roof. West wall of tower, nearest to farmhouse, has hollow-chamfered
doorway which originally gave access into the lower chamber, but is now
internally blocked and only gives access to newel staircase. 2 periods of roof
creases show height of original hall range. South wall has central
chamfered-surround openings, that on second floor blocked, with flanking slit
vents, those to left for staircase, those to right for garderobes. East wall
has 2-light stone-mullioned windows with cusped heads. North wall has
hollow-chamfered doorway and 2-light windows (similar) to east wall but these
are C19 replacements. Projecting west and east carved-head water spouts below
parapets. Inner ground floor stone tunnel-vault. Newel staircase for full
height up to parapet walk. Garderobes have original stone seats and hand
sinks. Blocked first floor doorway into former hall range. C15 stone
fireplaces on 2 levels. Roof and floors gone but corbel stones still in place.
Farmhouse has stone-porch, with coped gable and ball finial, and
chamfered-surround side door. Sash windows in painted stone surrounds. Rear
extension has reused lintel inscribed F.H. 1594. Barn has plank doors and
sliding loft door with flanking slit vents. See J.F. Curwen, Castles & Towers
of Cumberland & Westmorland, 1913, pp370-2. Further adjoining barns are not of
interest. Scheduled A.M.
Listing NGR: NY1923841504
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings