History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bridge End House

A Grade II Listed Building in Caldbeck, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.7489 / 54°44'56"N

Longitude: -3.0548 / 3°3'17"W

OS Eastings: 332204

OS Northings: 539841

OS Grid: NY322398

Mapcode National: GBR 7F3J.GF

Mapcode Global: WH80M.1WMS

Entry Name: Bridge End House

Listing Date: 3 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1327227

English Heritage Legacy ID: 72368

Location: Caldbeck, Allerdale, Cumbria, CA7

County: Cumbria

District: Allerdale

Civil Parish: Caldbeck

Built-Up Area: Caldbeck

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Caldbeck St Mungo

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Caldbeck

Listing Text

NY 33 NW CALDBECK Caldbeck

13/60 Bridge End House

G.V. II

House. Dated over former cross-passage entrance E A 1690 (Addison) E A Born 56,
There (sic) son R 86, Grace 81, with extensive alterations; inscribed over left
entrance B & B A (Backhouse & Barbara Addison) and now erased date thought to
have been 1792; further early C19 and mid C19 extensions. Incised painted
stucco, with V-jointed quoins and eaves cornice, on chamfered plinth. Graduated
greenslate roof with stone chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 4 bays with single-bay
extension under common roof and further right-angled single-bay extension at
front. Left entrance has top-glazed panelled door in fluted pilastered
dentilled-pedimented doorcase. Sash windows with glazing bars in painted stone
architraves. Right entrance has 1690 bolection surround with inscribed panel
above. Interior chamfered-surround doorway from cross passage has lintel
inscribed HE WISELY BUILDS WHO AFTER DONE DOTH GIVE THE POOR MUCH ALMS AND WELL
HIMSELF TO LIVE, ROBERT VAUX 1690. Rear wall has very much altered
stone-mullioned windows with mullions removed. Extension has large C19
chamfered-surround sash window. Sash window with glazing bars above in painted
stone architrave differing from rest of windows. Single-storey extension was
used as a shop but now part of the house. Former entrance in end gable wall,
now window, has reused lintel inscribed EX DONO ROBERT VAUX DE BROWNRIGG ANNO
DOMINI, 1688, from the demolished school in the churchyard. The 2 inscriptions
to different owners in 1690 seem to indicate that the house was built at an
earlier C17 date by the Vaux family (of Brownrigg) and the date was added to
that inscription by the Addisons.


Listing NGR: NY3220439841

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.