This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.1237 / 50°7'25"N
Longitude: -5.4727 / 5°28'21"W
OS Eastings: 151876
OS Northings: 30618
OS Grid: SW518306
Mapcode National: GBR DXWC.00S
Mapcode Global: VH130.3551
Entry Name: The Town Hall (Barclays Bank)
Listing Date: 9 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1327585
English Heritage Legacy ID: 69926
Location: Marazion, Cornwall, TR17
Civil Parish: Marazion
Built-Up Area: Marazion
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Marazion
Church of England Diocese: Truro
MARAZION MARKET PLACE, Marazion
4/20 The Town Hall (Barclays Bank),
formerly St Thomas? Hall
Town hall, now used as bank. 1871. Roughly coursed granite rubble with dressed
granite plinth, rusticated quoins and jambstones, string and other architectural
features. Dry Delabole slate roof except for roofs over the entrance front which are
Plan: rectangular plan end on to the street with a square clock tower at the street
end flanked by round turrets in the angle between the clock tower and the main block.
Entrance (possibly former lock-up) to bottom of tower and main entrance to former
first floor council chamber up segmental-on-plan steps to doorway in right-hand
turret. Chateau style.
Exterior : 2 storeys. Nearly symmetrical l:l:l-bay entrance front: projecting tall
square clock tower to middle flanked by lower round turrets. Plinth, string under
first floor sills and moulded eaves cornices. The clock tower has doorway with
original heavy door, outer wrought iron gate and hipped hood on brackets over; above
the door a blind traceried niche with hoodmould continuing as string and 2 trefoils
under the eaves. Steep sprocketted lead roof with clock face to each side and iron
balustrade with fleur-de-lys detail round square flat and weather vane over middle.
The turrets are similar except that the right hand turret has a doorway with steps:
cruciform bowed windows and conical sprocketted lead roofs with finials.
The side wall, right, is blind except for ground and first floor windows towards the
The left hand side wall, formerly a 5 window front but now with doorway to first
floor left. Wide ground floor doorway with original overlight in fourth from left
Listing NGR: SW5187630618
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings