This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.222 / 50°13'19"N
Longitude: -5.3851 / 5°23'6"W
OS Eastings: 158635
OS Northings: 41263
OS Grid: SW586412
Mapcode National: GBR FX23.43V
Mapcode Global: VH12G.LPZ5
Entry Name: Church of Saint Gothian
Listing Date: 14 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1327619
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70130
Location: Gwinear-Gwithian, Cornwall, TR27
Civil Parish: Gwinear-Gwithian
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Phillack
Church of England Diocese: Truro
GWINEAR-GWITHIAN GWITHIAN CHURCHTOWN
SW 54 SE
1/35 (was 1/2) Church of Saint Gothian
Parish church. C13 font (retooled in the C19), C15 tower, otherwise mostly rebuilt
by Edmund Sedding in 1865-1866 but incorporating parts of the 1782 chancel. Granite
ashlar tower, otherwise granite rubble with granite dressings. Dry Delabole slate
roof with coped gable ends and cruciform finials.
Plan: Originally a cruciform plan, then extended with a south aisle and west tower in
the C15 and the chancel was rebuilt in 1782. In the C19 most of the church, except
for the tower and parts of the chancel, was demolished and rebuilt to its earlier
cruciform plan with C15 west tower, nave, slightly narrower chancel, north and south
transepts and south porch. The C19 parts are in the Early English style. Elements
of the C15 arcade are reused in the lych gate q.v.
Exterior: unaltered C15 embattled 3-stage west tower with original doorway and window
openings. The tower is unbuttressed with plinth and strings dividing the stage.
The parapet has angel corner gargoyles and the turrets carrying the pinnacles are
enriched with carved panelled decoration. 4-centred west doorway with 3-light window
over. Louvred 3-light windows to the upper stage. The C19 nave, chancel and
transept windows are cusped lancets or have simple tracery. The east chancel window
has coloured glass. North doorway and south porch doorway is possibly C15 but
retooled in the C19.
Interior: C15 tower arch, otherwise C19 in Early English style with chancel arch
carried on impost corbels ; sedilia, piscina and credence niche in the chancel
(possibly copies of originals) and C19 roof structure incorporating some carved C15
oak fragments from Pillack church roof over the chancel. Plastered walls.
Fittings: possibly C13 font bowl on C19 shafts and base ; village stocks ; C19 pews
and other fittings.
Sources: Gwithian, by Charles Thomas, 1964.
Listing NGR: SW5863541263
Other nearby listed buildings