This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1106 / 50°6'38"N
Longitude: -5.5762 / 5°34'34"W
OS Eastings: 144411
OS Northings: 29513
OS Grid: SW444295
Mapcode National: GBR DXMD.6LQ
Mapcode Global: VH05H.9HG2
Entry Name: Coach House West of Trewidden House
Listing Date: 7 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1327675
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70470
Location: Madron, Cornwall, TR20
Civil Parish: Madron
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Madron
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 42 NW
9/125 Coach house west of Trewidden House
Coach house and stables. Datestone 1848. Coursed dressed granite with granite
dressings. Scantle slate roofs with gable ends. Brick chimneys at either end of the
Plan: L-shaped plan around a paved stable yard plus 2 wings at right angles to rear
(north). West range: 2 coach houses flanking a central entrance lobby and with
grooms accommodation over, plus probably an office, far right in the outer angle.
North range: porte-cochere entrance through ground floor of building far left (west).
Waggon shed middle, principal 2 window front stable, left, and probably tack rooms
right. Probably granary to first floor with loading/winnowing doorway over waggon
house and liked to Trewidden House qv at right hand end by a first floor timber-
framed corridor. Tudor Gothic style features.
Exterior: 2 storeys. West range, east front. Nearly symmetrical 3-bay coach house
front with central doorway with window over, clock in gable above and octagonal
bellcote over ridge of gable. Large 4-centred arched doorway with original doors,
right, widened doorway left. Original 2 light casements with glazing bars and 4-
centred traceried heads and fanlight over central doorway.
North range, south front: overall irregular 3 window front: (from left) porte cochere
4-centred arched entrance with window over, symmetrical stable front with window over
central doorway and window on either side of doorway; central 4-centred arched waggon
doorway with former loading/winnowing doorway (now window) over, 4-centred arched
niche with trough in front and 2 low doorways with windows over, right. Half-
timbered corridor bridge, far right.
Interior: partly inspected. Original fittings to stables.
Listing NGR: SW4441129513
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings