This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5464 / 50°32'46"N
Longitude: -4.7274 / 4°43'38"W
OS Eastings: 206860
OS Northings: 75397
OS Grid: SX068753
Mapcode National: GBR N2.GX3H
Mapcode Global: FRA 07ZM.B2S
Plus Code: 9C2QG7WF+G2
Entry Name: Tinten Manor Farmhouse
Listing Date: 4 November 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1327937
English Heritage Legacy ID: 67790
Location: St. Tudy, Cornwall, PL30
Civil Parish: St. Tudy
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Tudy with Michaelstow
Church of England Diocese: Truro
Tagged with: Farmhouse
SX 07 NE
2/160 Tinten Manor Farmhouse
House. Circa late C16. Probably partly rebuilt in C18. Stone rubble with granite
quoins. Slate roof with gable ends and lower slate roof with gable end to rear wing.
'Brick end stack on left, brick rear lateral stack and projecting rendered stone
rubble end stack on right. Brick end stack to rear wing.
Plan: Original plan uncertain. The front range on south west probably comprised a 3
room and cross or through passage plan with passage entrance to left of centre. The
lower left hand room (on north west) heated by an end stack, the hall probablt
originally heated by a rear lateral stack and the inner room on right by a projecting
end stack., In circa mid C19 a stair was inserted in the passage, possibly replacing
an earlier stair and in circa C19 or C20 the partition between the hall and inner
room was probably removed. The wing to rear of the inner room on the east appears,
although partly rebuilt, to have late C16 or early C17 origins; 1 room and passage
plan with the room on right (north east) heated by an end stack and the entrance on
left, entering a passage which runs parallel to the rear wall of the main range and
gives access to a service outshot which was added in the C19 across the rear
elevation of the rear wing. As full interior inspection was not possible the
chronological development of the house is uncertain. It is however, possible that
the rear wing is circa late C16 or early C17 and that the front range was partly
rebuilt in the C18. C15 remains were recorded in Kelly Directory of 1935.
Exterior: 2-storeys and cellar. Regular 4 window south west front with dressed
stone arches to ground floor windows. Wide large 16-pane hornless sash on left,
dressed round arch to entrance to left of centre, with fanlight and partly glazed
door with C20 glazed porch in front. Hornless 16-pane sash and late C19 or early C20
tripartite sash to right. First floor has hornless 16-pane sash to left and 3 late
C19 or C20 4-pane sashes. C20 rendered porch on right hand gable end. Rear wing
with lower 2-storey range which has a blocked opening and straight joint near the
centre of the front elevation. C20 brick porch.
Interior: Partition between hall and inner room removed and fireplaces altered.
Entrance to rear wing has a circa late C16 door of 2-ply construction with strap
hinges terminating in fleur-de-lys. Chamfered ceiling beams to passage beyond.
First floor and stair not accessible at time of inspection (1986).
Crown lease assigned to Bligh family from 1680 until 1817. Polwhele in his
Biographical Sketches in Cornwall volume II page 19, associated William Bligh, who
accompanied Captain Cook in the circumnavigation of the globe and who became famous
in connection with the mutiny, with the Bligh family of Tinten.
Kelly Directory of Cornwall, 1935.
Maclean, Sir John Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor, 1876.
Listing NGR: SX0686075397
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings