This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4972 / 50°29'50"N
Longitude: -4.8395 / 4°50'22"W
OS Eastings: 198711
OS Northings: 70233
OS Grid: SW987702
Mapcode National: GBR ZT.BQ36
Mapcode Global: FRA 07RR.2DY
Entry Name: Trevorder Farmhouse
Listing Date: 4 November 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1327938
English Heritage Legacy ID: 67692
Location: St. Breock, Cornwall, PL27
Civil Parish: St. Breock
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Breoke
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 97 SE
3/60 Trevorder Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Circa early C19, possibly with earlier origins and reusing material from
the earlier manor house which was built probably in the C17 for the Tregagle family.
Stone rubble. Slate roof with gable ends and parallel range to rear with gable ends.
Brick end stacks.
Plan: The unusual plan may be the result of the remodelling of an earlier house;
double depth plan, heated by end stacks with entrance in south elevation which faces
the yard. Entrance directly into left hand room with stair near centre and possibly
originally a dairy to right; 2 reception rooms of equal size to rear on north. The
entrance contains a probably reset C17 arch with datestone 1659 and the reception
room to rear right contains circa 1700 panelling. An oblique line on the right hand
gable end of the front range suggests that either the front range has been raised
from a single storey outshot to 2 storeys, or that there has been a tall outshot
extension attached to the right hand end which has now been demolished.
Exterior: 2-storeys. Asymmetrical 4-window front with 12-pane sashes renewed in the
late C20 and brick segmental arches. 2 sash windows flank a granite 4-centred and
hollow chamfered arch with carved spandrels and ball stops. Hood mould and granite
lintel with 1659 carved in relief to right of centre; the lintel appears to have been
reset and has probably been truncated. First floor with 2 sashes to right and left, a
C20 casement to left of centre and a 12-pane stair window to right of centre.
Rear elevation faces north and has a symmetrical 3 window front with dressed stone
flat arches to openings. 2 16-pane replacement sashes flank a central blind window
opening. 3 replacement 12-pane sashes on first floor. Early cusped single light
window reset in right hand gable end.
Interior: Room to rear right has complete circa 1700 bolection moulded panelling
with dado rail. The cornice has probably been replaced and the door is C19. The
grate has also been replaced. Although painted with emulsion the tenant stated that
the panels are painted with chinoiserie patterns.
Seat of the Tregagle family who built the C17 south transept in the Church of St
Breock (qv). House passed through families of Trenouth, Carminnows and Viells to the
Longden, Preb. A. Church and Parish of St Breoke, with additions by Francis Hodges,
Polsue, J Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, 1872, reprinted 1974.
Listing NGR: SW9871170233
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings