History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tremough Part of Tremough Convent

A Grade II Listed Building in Penryn, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.1703 / 50°10'13"N

Longitude: -5.1243 / 5°7'27"W

OS Eastings: 176988

OS Northings: 34701

OS Grid: SW769347

Mapcode National: GBR ZB.4F26

Mapcode Global: FRA 084K.ZBH

Plus Code: 9C2P5VCG+47

Entry Name: Tremough Part of Tremough Convent

Listing Date: 10 July 1957

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1328124

English Heritage Legacy ID: 66503

Location: Mabe, Cornwall, TR10

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Mabe

Built-Up Area: Penryn

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Mabe

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Penryn

Listing Text



SW 73 SE MABE TREMOUGH

3/91 Tremough (part of Tremough Convent)
10.7.57
GV II


Country house, now a school. Circa early-mid C18. Built for John Worth; extended in
the C19 possibly for Benjamin Sampson (nee Cloak). Remodelled circa late C19 or
early C20. Granite ashlar to C18 and C19 front elevations; dressed coursed granite
with granite dressings to C19 addition; granite rubble to right-hand wall of C18 part
and stuccoed elevations facing into rear courtyard. Stuccoed eaves cornice with
wooden cornice over. Mostly dry Delabole slate hipped roofs. Stuccoed axial stacks
over the cross walls.
Plan: Now a large overall H-shaped plan. Original C18 double-pile house has: large
hall on the left; smaller parlour on the right; axial passage behind the front rooms,
back parlour (not inspected) behind the left-hand side; rear cross passage aligned
with front doorway; large stair hall right of the cross passage. On the right is a
deep cross wing (possibly slightly later) projecting at both front and rear: large
mid-C18 parlour at the front; a smaller room behind (now 1 room) and behind the axial
passage a C18 service stair, and kitchen behind the stair. In the C19 a cross wing
was added on the left of the house, projecting to the same depth as the right-hand
wing. This C19 wing has a very deep ballroom at the front which overlooks an
Italianate formal garden and there is a smaller room behind. In the C20 there have
been extensions behind the cross wings, on the left of the right-hand cross wing and
on the right-hand side of the house (single-storey).
Exterior: 2 storeys plus attics over cellars (under original part only). Entrance
front and garden front unaltered since the C19. East entrance front has C18
symmetrical 5-window front with central doorway set back between hipped end of C19
cross wing projecting forward on the left and hipped and of C18 cross wing projecting
forward on the left. C19 Tuscan porch with triangular pediment. Circa late C19 or
early C20 door. C20 windows in original C18 openings with flat arches. Blocked
cellar window openings are spanned by chamfered granite lintels. C18 wing has 2
window (left-hand return wall) front with its openings blocked with granite ashlar in
the C19. Right-hand wall of C19 wing (left) is similar but has first floor window on
the right. Both wings have C19 tripartite windows at the front. Horned sashes.
2:1:3 1-bay south garden front. Projecting tripartite window (ground and first
floor) with hipped roof towards the right. This projection is central to the
ballroom which is in 3 bays. Circa late C19 horned sashes. Rear is stuccoed. C19
round-headed traceried stair window on the left; central circa early-C19 4-panelled
door and circa early-Cl9 door with ventilation holes under the stair window. The
other windows are circa early or mid-C19 12-pane hornless sashes.
Interior: The interior has many good quality features in C18 style in the C18 part
of the house. Most of these features are circa late C19 or early C20 possibly based
on former C18 features. Hall: bolection-moulded oak panelling; marble chimney piece
and ribbed plaster ceiling with round central panel with acanthus leaves. Parlour:
bolection-moulded mahogany panelling with marquetry inlay and ribbed plaster ceiling;
iron grate. Stair hall: open-well mahogany stair with open string, twist balusters
and scrolled handrail over the newel; Ionic pilasters flanking the landing
balustrade. Axial passage to ground floor has C19 plaster ceilings with cornices;
axial passage above has possibly C18 moulded plaster cornices. Front parlour: fine
quality Rococo plaster ceiling with arabesques, possibly incorporating some original
C18 carved detail. Room behind has C18 moulded plaster ceiling and C18 cupboard with
fielded panelled door and shaped shelves. C18 dog-leg service stair with turned
balusters. There may be other C18 details in the C18 parts of the house. C19
ballroom has ornate neo-classical plasterwork. The central bay has an Ionic column
to each corner.
Sources: Historical information extracted from a research project carried out by
Joanne Ashby, Esther Dunstan and Virginia Wright (former pupils of Tremough School).


Listing NGR: SW7698834701

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.