This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1687 / 50°10'7"N
Longitude: -5.1256 / 5°7'32"W
OS Eastings: 176889
OS Northings: 34531
OS Grid: SW768345
Mapcode National: GBR ZB.4DRL
Mapcode Global: FRA 084K.YS2
Entry Name: Farm Buildings Immediately North of Tremough Barton Farmhouse
Listing Date: 24 November 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1328125
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66507
Location: Mabe, Cornwall, TR10
Civil Parish: Mabe
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Mabe
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 73 SE MABE TREMOUGH
3/95 Farm buildings immediately north of
- Tremough Barton Farmhouse
Planned group of farm buildings. Circa mid-late C19. Roughly-coursed granite rubble
with granite dressings. Dry Delabole slate roofs with gable ends.
Plan: Overall U-shaped plan. Original L-shaped adjoining barns on the left with
slightly later single-storey extension cartsheds in front on the left; shippon or
shelter shed on the right, linked to an implement shed, piggery, swill kitchen, loose
box and earth closet returning at right angles in front of the right-hand side.
Larger barn, on the left, is built into the bank on its left. Behind the left-hand
side of the adjoining barn is a single-storey possible horse-engine house. C20 lean-
to on the left of the larger barn. There are central threshing floors to each of the
2 similar barn adjoining at the left-hand angle.
Exterior: 2 storey barns, otherwise single storey. Virtually unaltered elevations
with many original doors and some shuttered windows to original openings, south front
has symmetrical 2-window front barn on the left, single storey range on the right.
The barn front and the front of the barn returning on its left (east front) are
identical and both have central doorways with loading/winnowing doorways over. These
loading doorways and the rear doorways opposite have hipped-roofed slate hoods
carried on moulded granite cotbels. Left-hand window of south-facing barn has been
converted to a doorway. The single-storey range (right) has 4 doorways at the front.
Left-hand range of barns has east-facing front. On the left of the 2-window front
already described is an internal linking bay with doorway and window above. On its
left is a symmetrical 2-window front with central doorway and loading doorway over.
The first-floor windows are higher than the other 2-storey fronts. Single-storey
cartshed, on the left, originally open-fronted, has C20 infill. Range at right
angles in front of the right-hand side has west front. On the left are 3 open-
fronted bays with the wallplate carried on 2 granite monolithic piers. Right of this
is piggery front with 3 low doorways and on its right a doorway and window fronting
the swill kitchen. At far right is a lower single storey building with 2 doorways at
Interior has original first floor structure (barns) and original roof structures.
Listing NGR: SW7688934531
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings