History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Portreath Harbour Including Slipway to South South West

A Grade II Listed Building in Portreath, Cornwall

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2628 / 50°15'46"N

Longitude: -5.2921 / 5°17'31"W

OS Eastings: 165464

OS Northings: 45501

OS Grid: SW654455

Mapcode National: GBR FW9Z.QPV

Mapcode Global: VH12B.7N3D

Entry Name: Portreath Harbour Including Slipway to South South West

Listing Date: 12 September 1989

Last Amended: 18 June 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1328173

English Heritage Legacy ID: 66783

Location: Portreath, Cornwall, TR16

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Portreath

Built-Up Area: Portreath

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Saint Illogan

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Portreath

Listing Text

In the entry for

PORTREATH
SW 64 NE

1/227 Portreath Harbour

GV II

the address shall be amended to read:

PORTREATH
Portreath Harbour
including slipway
to south south west

and line 8 of the description: 'a gated slipway at the south west corner'
shall be amended to read: 'a gated slipway at the south south west side'.

------------------------------------

PORTREATH
SW 64 NE
1/227 Portreath Harbour

GV II
Harbour. 1760 to 1860's. Killas and slate rubble and dressed granite blocks.
Outer harbour and 2 basins in line, on north-west/south-east axis. The harbour,
begun in 1760 and improved in 1778-81 and 1824, has curved sides formed by
excavated natural rock with a short outer bullnose on the north side and a long
curved pier on the south; the bullnose, of granite blocks, has on its outer side a
flight of steps secured by iron staples; the pier is mostly of large dressed
granite blocks but patches of earlier vertically-set rubble masonry are visible at
a low level; a gated slipway at the south-west corner probably belongs to the
last phase of building in the 1860's. At the inner end a short passage with
slotted sides leads to the "new basin" begun in 1800 for the accommodation of
up to 25 vessels: this is rectangular, 280 feet long and 95 feet wide (approx.
80x30 metres), with side walls of large kIllas and slate rubble with some patches
of dressed granite blocks, and a recessed flight of steps at the north-west
corner. Another passage at the inner end opens into the "inner basin" of 1846,
200 feet long and 100 feet wide (approx. 60x30 metres), which has side walls of
large dressed granite blocks, a flight of steps at the north-west corner, and a
slipway in the centre of the inner end. History: developed on lease by the Basset
family, for the import of coal and export of copper and tin ores, and linked to
the inland mining areas by tramroad up the Portreath Incline (q.v.). Reference:
Michael Tangye Portreath (1968).


Listing NGR: SW6546445501

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.