History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Glume Stove House and Associated Structures at Approximately 40 Metres West of Kennal Vale House

A Grade II Listed Building in Ponsanooth, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.1953 / 50°11'43"N

Longitude: -5.1511 / 5°9'4"W

OS Eastings: 175192

OS Northings: 37563

OS Grid: SW751375

Mapcode National: GBR Z8.RS1H

Mapcode Global: FRA 083H.T5J

Plus Code: 9C2P5RWX+4G

Entry Name: Glume Stove House and Associated Structures at Approximately 40 Metres West of Kennal Vale House

Listing Date: 17 June 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1328441

English Heritage Legacy ID: 66257

Location: Stithians, Cornwall, TR3

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Stithians

Built-Up Area: Ponsanooth

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Stithians

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Gwennap

Description

SW 73 NE STITHIANS KENNAL VALE, Ponsanooth

3/271 Glume Stove house and associated
- structures at approximately 40
metres west of Kennal Vale House

GV II


Glume stove buildings including chimney, boiler house,drying house and associated
structures. 1812. Killas and granite rubble with granite dressings.
Plan: Complete round chimney at right hand (east) end adjoining square-on-plan
probably boiler house which adjoins larger probably drying house, both roofless and
partly ruinous. The buildings are situated on the steep slope of the Kennal Valley
and there is a walled platform in front.
Exterior: Single storey. Left-hand building has part of the front wall missing but
has the jambs of former openings; right-hand building is set back from the front and
has a doorway left of middle. There is another doorway in the right-hand return wall
where it adjoins a tapered rubble stack. High retaining wall to terrace in front
with access from wide doorwsay in high wall at far left.
This building was used to dry pellets of gunpowder in preparation for storage. It is
probably the most complete example of its type in the south and west of England.
Source: The Cornwall Archaeoligical Unit, Old County Hall, Truro.


Listing NGR: SW7519237562

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.