This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.8257 / 50°49'32"N
Longitude: -4.5486 / 4°32'54"W
OS Eastings: 220598
OS Northings: 105999
OS Grid: SS205059
Mapcode National: GBR K2.X7K1
Mapcode Global: FRA 16CX.7S3
Plus Code: 9C2QRFG2+7H
Entry Name: Ebbingford Manor
Listing Date: 5 March 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1328546
English Heritage Legacy ID: 64809
Location: Bude-Stratton, Cornwall, EX23
Civil Parish: Bude-Stratton
Built-Up Area: Bude
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Bude Haven
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SS 20 NW & SS 2006-2106 BUDE-STRATTON VICARAGE ROAD, BUDE
5/222 & 11/222 Ebbingford Manor
Manor House, now house. Late C16, remodelled in 1758, C19 addition and
alterations. Main range ashlar masonry, stone rubble wings, granite dressings,
slate roof scantle slate to south wing, north and south wings hipped at east ends.
Massive chamfered axial stack Massive projecting moulded stack at east end of
north wing, other chimneys local brick. East-facing main range with wings to
north and south forming H plan. Main range single depth with entry into stair
hall probably former through passage. Heated room to left of passage may have
been late C16 hall, with parlour to right of passage and kitchen, wing projecting
from front at north. South wing may be an addition. A second passage known as
"the slype" runs to the rear of what may have been the former hall and was
converted into a small chapel in the early C20. 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 1 + 6
window front. Entrance into stair hall through moulded granite arched doorway.
Further entrance into slype through moulded granite arched doorway. Ground floor
window in south wing C20 2-light transomed casement. Ground floor window left of
main range C20 window lighting slype chapel under granite lintel. Ground floor
window to right of slype door 3-light hollow-chamfered granite mullioned window
under hoodmould. Ground floor window to right of front door square ovolo-moulded
granite opening. 3 ground floor windows on front at right 12-pane hornless sashes
with wide glazing bars. The right hand window is late C20 replacing a former
doorway, the other two sashes probably date from 1758 (datestone). First floor
window in wing is a 12 pane sash. First floor window left in main range is a 1-
light C20 casement with moulded granite lintel jambs and sill in a full gabled
dormer. Window above ground floor mullioned window is similar stone mullioned
window in a raking dormer rising slightly above eavesline. First floor window to
right of front door has moulded granite lintel, jambs and sill with 6-pane C20
casement. 3 windows on the front at the right are 12-pane sashes in full gabled
dormers and probably date from 1758.
Interior Former parlour has C20 granite fireplace with restored panelling.
Massive chamfered cross beam with wide stops and axial beams. Early C19 stair has
stick balusters. Roof trusses of main range have massive principals with 2 tiers
of threaded purlins.
Ebbingford Manor is mentioned in the pipe roll for 1194-5 and passed to the
Arundells of Trerice in 1433. Carew mentions the house as "a pleasant-seated
house and domains". The house was eventually inherited by the Aclands in 1802
although they never lived at the house which was tenanted in part by Colonel Wrey
I'ans whose daughter, Charlotte, married the Rev. R S Hawker of Morwenstow (q.v.
The Vicarage, Morwenstow). The house was used as Bude Vicarage between 1761 and
1953 when Sir Dudley Stamp and Canon Walter Prest swooped their Bude houses. B
Dudley Stamp, Ebbingford Manor (1973).
Listing NGR: SS2059805999
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings