History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Michael's Church

A Grade II* Listed Building in Kea, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2465 / 50°14'47"N

Longitude: -5.1263 / 5°7'34"W

OS Eastings: 177207

OS Northings: 43178

OS Grid: SW772431

Mapcode National: GBR Z9.ZLKK

Mapcode Global: FRA 084C.YGH

Entry Name: St Michael's Church

Listing Date: 12 March 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1329026

English Heritage Legacy ID: 63412

Location: Kea, Cornwall, TR3

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Kea

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Highertown

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Chacewater

Listing Text

In the entry for:


SW 74 SE KEA BALDHU

1/128 St Michael's Church


the grade shall be amended to read: Grade II* (star)

------------------------------------


SW 74 SE KEA BALDHU

1/128 St Michael's Church

II

Anglican church, now disused. 1847. Designed by William White. Elvan rubble with
dressed white limestone for doorways, windows and strings. Dry Delabole slate roofs
with coped gable ends except broach spire to tower of dressed limestone ashlar.
Plan of nave/chancel under one roof, south aisle under parallel roof, south porch
towards west end and north tower. Decorated style.
Windows have 3 cusped lights with reticulated Decorated style tracery and latticed
leaded glazing except to 3-stage tower which has single-light cusped openings to
second stage and 2-light louvred openings to spire. Stages divided by moulded
strings. Hoodmoulds to doorways and larger window openings. Plinth. West wall has
nave gable, left, and slightly lower aisle gable right, each with central window.
North wall: 2 windows to right of tower with pointed-arched doorway between, with
original door with elaborate cast iron hinges; projecting tower, with 3-light window
to lower stage; octagonal stair turret with shouldered headed doorway with original
door clasping north east corner. Lean-to vestry, left, in angle between tower and
chancel with pointed door:way with original door and ashlar chimney with trefoil
gablets over angle.
East gable of chancel projects 1 bay beyond south aisle gable; each gable with
central window.
South wall: 1 window to left of porch and 4 windows to right. Pointed-arched porch
doorway and pointed-arched inner south doorway with original doorway with very ornate
cast iron hinges. Further doorway, similar to north doorway, to right of third south
window.
Interior has pointed-arched bay limestone arcade between nave and south aisle and
original pine arch-braced roof structure, octagonal limestone font with quatrefoils
and C19 pitch pine pews with shaped ends with traceried carving.
One of White's first buildings in Cornwall and rather restrained but pleasingly
simple and with prominent spire which is a notable local landmark.


Listing NGR: SW7720743178

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.