This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.3316 / 50°19'53"N
Longitude: -4.5178 / 4°31'4"W
OS Eastings: 220899
OS Northings: 50999
OS Grid: SX208509
Mapcode National: GBR NC.XHCK
Mapcode Global: FRA 18F5.1RW
Plus Code: 9C2Q8FJJ+MV
Entry Name: The Shell House
Listing Date: 26 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1329056
English Heritage Legacy ID: 61586
Location: Polperro, Cornwall, PL13
Civil Parish: Polperro
Built-Up Area: Polperro
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Talland
Church of England Diocese: Truro
LANSALLOS THE WARREN, (north side), Polperro
6/118 The Shell House
House. Circa early to mid C19. Stone rubble, part rendered with ornate decorative
covering of shells on ground and first floor executed by Mr S Puckey in C20. Slate
roof with gable ends. Rendered brick stack on left-hand gable end.
Original plan uncertain but it could have been a 2-room plan over a cellar.
3 storeys with entrance on ground floor and further entrance on first floor
approached by external stair. Regular 2-window front. Ground floor with entrance on
right with C20 door in open timber porch with shaped brackets and fascia boards.
Large rectangular C20 window to left and further to left, retaining wall and stair
leading to first floor entrance. C19 cast iron balustrade. First floor with
projecting porch on left, corbelled out and decorated with shell patterns. Upper
part of porch glazed with part glazed C20 door. To right, 2 segmental arched
openings with C19 4-pane sashes. Second floor with 2 similar windows. Front
elevation decorated with various patterns of shells including illustration of
Eddystone lighthouse. Shell decoration ceases above first floor.
Interior not inspected.
Included for group value.
Source; The Field 1955.
Listing NGR: SX2089950999
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings