This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5655 / 54°33'55"N
Longitude: -1.2415 / 1°14'29"W
OS Eastings: 449143
OS Northings: 519185
OS Grid: NZ491191
Mapcode National: GBR MHSN.05
Mapcode Global: WHD6Z.XH0V
Entry Name: Park Methodist Church
Listing Date: 28 July 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1329511
English Heritage Legacy ID: 59750
Location: Middlesbrough, TS1
Electoral Ward/Division: Newport
Built-Up Area: Middlesbrough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Linthorpe St Barnabas
Church of England Diocese: York
MIDDLESBROUGH LINTHORPE. ROAD,
NZ 41 NE (4919)
3/51 Park Methodist
Wesleyan church 1903/05 by W.J. Morley & Son (Bradford). Red brick with
painted terracotta dressings. Welsh slate roofs; copper-domed north-west
tower. Disoriented, terms used are ritual. North-west and south-west
towers, nave with transepts, short blank recessed chancel and north-east
vestry. Italianate. 3-stage north-west tower has clasping pilasters,
paired Ionic on 3rd stage. Continuous entablatures between stages.
Panelled double doors and fanlight in classical surround with enriched
spandrels, in west face. 2nd stage has paired round-headed windows, with
quasi-Composite columns, panelled approns and keyed archivolts.
Round-headed windows,in 3rd stage, have balustraded aprons and rusticated
archivolts. Metal casements with glazing bars. Balustraded parapet, and
recessed octagonal cupola with panels and blocked similar windows in
alternate faces. Cornice, dome, and ball-and-spike finial. Similar 2-stage
south-west tower with conical roof; ball-on-stem finials at angles of
parapet. 2-storey, 3-bay west end of nave. Wide slightly-projecting
pedimented centre has 3 windows in Ionic surrounds under Venetian window
with balustraded aprons and enriched spandrels with escutcheons dated 1904.
Enriched tympanum. Flanking bays have windows in moulded surrounds. 4-bay
nave and open-pedimented 2-bay transepts have round-headed windows with
keyed archivolts, impost and sill strings. Enriched tablets in classical
surrounds in tympana of transepts. Hip-roofed vestry. INTERIOR: enriched
plaster chancel arch and panelled ceiling. Deep coved cornices.
Tessellated floor with cross medallions in entrance lobby. West gallery has
raked seating and carved panelled front. Wainscot to sill height. 6-panel
doors in wood architraves. Slightly raked nave seating: panelled benches
with brass and iron umbrella stands on shaped ends. Chancel has organ with
panelled case, behind choir gallery with panelled front. Towers have
open-well staircases with turned balusters, newels with ball finials,
moulded handrails and closed strings. Remains of church school adjoining
south-east corner, too much altered to be of special interest. Occupies
important corner site prominent in views along Linthorpe Road.
Listing NGR: NZ4914319185
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings