This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.618 / 54°37'4"N
Longitude: -1.0617 / 1°3'42"W
OS Eastings: 460689
OS Northings: 525161
OS Grid: NZ606251
Mapcode National: GBR PH01.YC
Mapcode Global: WHF80.N6M4
Plus Code: 9C6WJW9Q+58
Entry Name: Zetland Lifeboat Museum and Redcar Heritage Centre, and attached wall
Listing Date: 29 April 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1329601
English Heritage Legacy ID: 60297
Location: Coatham, Redcar and Cleveland, TS10
County: Redcar and Cleveland
Electoral Ward/Division: Coatham
Built-Up Area: Redcar
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Redcar St Peter
Church of England Diocese: York
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16/01/2019
NZ 62 NW
60, Zetland Lifeboat Museum and Redcar Heritage Centre, and attached wall.
(Formerly listed as R.N.L.I. Zetland Lifeboat Museum and attached wall, ESPLANADE)
United Free Gardners Lifeboat House, 1877, now a museum; second floor lookout now used as coastguard station. Altered early C20 and mid C20 when third floor lookout cabin added. Brick in English garden wall bond Welsh slate roof; concrete roof on coastguard station. Brick and timber lookout cabin and steel balustrade.
Three storey, single bay front. Wide lifeboat entrance now holds mid C20 part-glazed doors, sidelights and overlights, in altered slender timber pilaster-and-entablature surround. Paired sash windows with painted sills on upper floors; cambered brick arches on first floor concrete lintels on 2nd floor. Stone plaques bearing sculptured arms to left and right of first-floor windows. That at left: United Free Gardners, dated 1877; that at right: Emma Dawson. Similar carved monograms below. Flat roof with post-and-rail balustrade. Flat-roofed cabin.
Right return, three storeys at left end, two storeys at right. Part-glazed door with sidelights and overlight, flanked by altered windows in original openings with painted lintels and sills. Sash window with glazing bars, and altered door and overlight, both with cambered heads, at right. Five first floor windows, the middle one a canted bay with moulded cornice. Sashes, painted sills and cambered heads. Stepped brick eaves cornice. Second floor has paired sashes. End and ridge stacks. High wall enclosing small covered rear yard, has boarded door and overlight with cambered held. Lower two storey rear extension is not of special interest.
Built for the "Emma" lifeboat, 1877-1884. Now houses the "Zetland" lifeboat, the oldest surviving lifeboat in the world. Included for historical interest.
Listing NGR: NZ6068925161
Other nearby listed buildings