History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ancoats Hospital

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Warford, Cheshire East

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2942 / 53°17'39"N

Longitude: -2.2933 / 2°17'35"W

OS Eastings: 380546

OS Northings: 377513

OS Grid: SJ805775

Mapcode National: GBR DZFB.9T

Mapcode Global: WH998.RG4F

Entry Name: Ancoats Hospital

Listing Date: 20 September 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1329676

English Heritage Legacy ID: 58396

Location: Great Warford, Cheshire East, SK9

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Great Warford

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Alderley St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Marthall

Listing Text

SJ 87 NW GREAT WARFORD C.P. ANCOATS ROAD


7/21 Ancoats Hospital

GV II


Hospital. 1903. Red brick with stone dressings and slate roof. 2
storeys and attic. Entrance front to courtyard. 11 bays in a 4.3.4
rhythm. Stone plinth with ground and first floor casement windows of
4 x 5 panes. Central projecting gabled wing with ½ storey high stone
walls to ground floor and double doors to centre with 3 x 4 pane
casement windows to either side. Overhang to first floor which is of
white stucco with central casement window of 3 lights of 2 x 4 panes
each site of a carved oak canopy and surrounding a statue of a draped
female figure and children. Row of corbels above supporting another
overhang with gable windows of 3 casement lights each of 2 x 2 panes.
Roundel to apex with raised lettering, A.D.1903. Square ridge and
purlin plates. Octagonal bell-cote over with a fleche. Projecting
2-storey wings at either side projecting by one bay and ending as
angled bays to both floors: these continue as glazed corridors at
ground floor level and terminate in pavilions with diagonal buttresses
(with stone seats between), which have casement windows of 4 lights
each of 3 x 3 panes with dormer lunette windows above to 3 sides.
Angled walls project from the buttresses and end in brick piers with
stone caps and balls. Inscription to central door lintel: PAX
INTRANTI: SALUS EXEUNTI. Rear facade has central wing with gable
dormers to sides in pairs and lateral gabled staircase wings.


Listing NGR: SJ8054677513

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.