History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Baptist Chapel

A Grade II* Listed Building in Great Warford, Cheshire East

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2898 / 53°17'23"N

Longitude: -2.2769 / 2°16'36"W

OS Eastings: 381638

OS Northings: 377020

OS Grid: SJ816770

Mapcode National: GBR DZJD.VD

Mapcode Global: WHBBF.0K1T

Entry Name: Baptist Chapel

Listing Date: 14 April 1967

Last Amended: 5 June 1996

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1329677

English Heritage Legacy ID: 58399

Location: Great Warford, Cheshire East, SK9

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Great Warford

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Alderley St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Marthall

Listing Text

SJ 87 NW GREAT WARFORD CP MERRYMAN'S LANE

7/24 Baptist Chapel
14.4.67 (formerly listed as
Baptist Chapel and
Chapel Cottage)

II*


Chapel and cottage. Mid C17 with alterations of 1712 and 1813.
Timber frame with brick infill and red English garden wall bond brick
with stone slate roof. 2-storey cottage to west with aisleless
galleried chapel to east. Road frontage: Early C18 brickwork. 6
bays, cottage and church contiguous. Cottage to left of 3 bays. Door
at far left with splayed head. Early C18 plank doorway with
contemporary ironwork including knocker plate inscribed "No.the 4
1712". 2 bays to right have splayed-head 2-light casements to ground
floor with blind window to left of first floor containing datestone
inscribed WBC 1813. 2-light casement to right of this with wooden
lintel. To the right are 2 triangular-headed lancet windows with
stone cills of the 1813 remodelling and containing C20 diamond leaded
panes. Splayed head doorway to right exactly similar to that of left
hand cottage. Plaque between lancets inscribed "Great Warford Baptist
Chapel Founded at Norbury Houses 1642". Clasping buttress at right
corner of C20 brickwork. Eastern gable end: C17 English garden wall
bond brick. Blocked doorway to ground floor originally giving access
to lean-to (now demolished). 2-light casement window to first floor,
originally taller. Rear elevation: 9 x 3 cells of small framing. 3
2-light casement windows to ground floor and 2 2-light casements to
first floor, one of 12 panes of old glass. C20 outshut projecting to
right at ground floor level. C20 clasping buttress at left corner.
West front: C20 brickwork with 1 triangular-headed lancet as at front
but taller.
Interior; The chapel is said to have been converted from a barn probably in
1712 when it had a gallery at either end and the pulpit against the North wall.
In 1813 part was divided off as a cottage for the minister. As presently arranged,
the chapel is divided from the cottage by a wall against the centre of which
the pulpit is now placed. 5 C19 box pews to North and 4 to South. Truss supported
on 2 chamfered posts, the northern having an ogee stop. Arch braces from wall
posts supporting cambered tie. Queen posts.

Listing NGR: SJ8163877020

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.