History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cumberland Footbridge over Grand Union Canal to Outer Circle, Regents Park

A Grade II* Listed Building in Regent's Park, Camden

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5372 / 51°32'13"N

Longitude: -0.1526 / 0°9'9"W

OS Eastings: 528226

OS Northings: 183649

OS Grid: TQ282836

Mapcode National: GBR 93.X4

Mapcode Global: VHGQS.9MQG

Plus Code: 9C3XGRPW+VX

Entry Name: Cumberland Footbridge over Grand Union Canal to Outer Circle, Regents Park

Listing Date: 16 May 1978

Last Amended: 11 January 1999

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1329910

English Heritage Legacy ID: 477804

Location: Camden, London, NW1

County: Camden

Electoral Ward/Division: Regent's Park

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Mary Magdalene Munster Sq.

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Highgate

Description


CAMDEN

TQ2883NW PRINCE ALBERT ROAD
798-1/75/1343 Cumberland Footbridge over Grand
16/05/78 Union Canal to Outer Circle, Regents
Park
(Formerly Listed as:
REGENTS PARK
Cumberland Footbridge)

II*

Footbridge over Grand Union Canal. c1864. Manufactured by
Henry Grissell, London (date & name on beams). Cast-iron.
Single span rising in a gentle bow from masonry abutments.
Load bearing beam arches of H section carrying subsidiary
girders of footpath decking. Foliate running pattern
decoration in spandrels of bridge. Cast-iron railings with
enriched arcaded decoration with scroll-bracketed standards.
Portland stone abutments with rusticated plinth carrying piers
with cornices enriched with stiff leaf ornament. Piers
surmounted by cast-iron lamp posts with candelabra bases
having lion masks, column shafts, C20 reproduction lanterns
and single ladder bars. Approaches to bridge with coped
masonry parapets. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached to the
northern end, cast-iron railings with torch flambe finials,
curving on each side to tall stone piers surmounted by torch
flambe urns.

The asset was previously listed twice also under the parish of Marylebone. This entry was removed from the List on 30 November 2017.


Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.