History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James

A Grade II* Listed Building in Christleton, Cheshire West and Chester

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1856 / 53°11'8"N

Longitude: -2.8383 / 2°50'17"W

OS Eastings: 344077

OS Northings: 365722

OS Grid: SJ440657

Mapcode National: GBR 7D.371R

Mapcode Global: WH88G.C6N4

Entry Name: Church of St James

Listing Date: 1 June 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1330249

English Heritage Legacy ID: 55471

Location: Christleton, Cheshire West and Chester, CH3

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Christleton

Built-Up Area: Waverton

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Christleton St James

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Christleton

Listing Text

SJ 46 NW CHRISTLETON C.P. PEPPER STREET
(North Side)

3/25 Church of St.James

1/6/1967

GV II*

Church: late C15 tower, the rest 1874-77 by W.Butterfield. Ashlar red
sandstone. Green slate roof. Nave and chancel in one range, north
and south aisles, south porch, side chapels to chancel and a 2-stage
west tower. Aisles have rectangular windows of 2 or 3 cusped lights.
Similar 2-light windows in the clerestorey. Gabled porch with arched
entrance on engaged columns. Tall gabled and buttressed side chapel
has a 3-light window with cusped tracery. Similar tall 2-light window
in the chancel and a 3-light east window. Tower has diagonal
buttresses and a stair turret at the south-east angle. 3-light west
window and a 2-light louvred bell opening. Gargoyle rainspouts below
an embattled parapet. The shingled pyramidal cap is Butterfield's
addition.
Interior: decorated with red and white sandstone. 5-bay nave arcades
of double chamfered arches on octagonal piers. The clerestorey
windows are over the piers and all the windows have wooden lintels. A
wagon roof is sprung from stone corbels. Tall narrow triple-chamfered
tower arch where plaster mimics the white stone. Wrought iron chancel
screen beneath a hanging wooden screen. The panels of coloured
stonework continue into the chancel and have a chequerboard pattern
added in the upper portion. 2 bay arcades to the side chapels with
the sanctuary beyond. This has a large alabaster reredos with cusped
and quatrefoil panels filled with mosaic. Above, the roof contains
painted quatrefoil panels. West window of 1877 by Gibbs and much of
the other glass by Kempe 1884-1904. Large painted panels of the royal
arms dated 1665, by Randle Holme III (Pevsner and Hubbard).
fThe red sandstone came from Waverton quarry and the white from
Stourton Hill.


Listing NGR: SJ4407765722

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.