History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Flaggs and Hamilton House, and Front Garden Walls and Gates

A Grade II* Listed Building in Tarvin, Cheshire West and Chester

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1976 / 53°11'51"N

Longitude: -2.763 / 2°45'46"W

OS Eastings: 349127

OS Northings: 366999

OS Grid: SJ491669

Mapcode National: GBR 7H.2FCX

Mapcode Global: WH889.JWJH

Entry Name: The Flaggs and Hamilton House, and Front Garden Walls and Gates

Listing Date: 22 October 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1330300

English Heritage Legacy ID: 55752

Location: Tarvin, Cheshire West and Chester, CH3

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Tarvin

Built-Up Area: Tarvin

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Tarvin St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Tarvin

Listing Text

SJ 46 NE TARVIN C.P. CHURCH STREET
(East Side)

2/48 The Flaggs and Hamilton
House, and front garden
walls and gates.
22/10/1952

GV II*

Pair of houses: dated 1756 on rainhead, later extensions to rear.
Flemish bond orange brick with buff sandstone dressings. Welsh slate
roof and 3 brick chimneys. Single-pile plan. 3-storey, symmetrical
8-bay front. Stone plinth with access to cellars. Rusticated stone
quoins, moulded cornice and plain blocking course. Windows are
12-pane sashes, ground floor recessed, remainder cased and flush, top
storeys 6-pane sashes. These have rusticated stone heads with raised
keyblocks (moulded over the doors) and stone sills. 3rd and 6th bays
have moulded wooden doorcases with panelled reveals. To the left is a
segmental pediment, to the right a triangular one. These contain
6-panelled doors approached by 2 stone steps. The houses are divided
by a central drainpipe with 1756 on the rainhead. The small front
gardens have low brick walls with chamfered stone copings and simple
iron railings. Each house has a gateway with square piers and
capstones and small wrought iron gates.
Interior: Hamilton House: entry into narrow hall with semi-circular
archway with raised keyblock and imposts. Only 2 main rooms with
staircase to rear. Drawing room has an original fireplace with rilled
pilasters and a simple frieze containing a modern grate. Dogleg stair
with square newels has crisscross balustrade in manner of Chinese
Chippendale staircases. Many of the doors are of 2 fielded panels in
simple surrounds, with some later 4 and 6-panelled doors. Extensive
cellars.

The Flaggs: hall has segmental arch on fluted pilasters. Main room
has bold egg and dart moulded cornice, fluted centre, and C18
fireplace from Tarvin Hall. Room to right less ornate cornice.
Openwell pine staircase has 3 column balusters per tread, column
newels and curving handrail. Carved acanthus on open string. Moulded
cornices in upper rooms, one with moulded beams. Later 4-panelled
doors below, doors and cupboards with 2 fielded panels in top storey.

Dr A Gomme (unpublished) shows the very close comparison of this pair
with the north side of Abbey Square, Chester, which are contemporary
though a little grander. He believes they were built by the same
lessee, Taylor.


Listing NGR: SJ4912367002

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.