This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1618 / 53°9'42"N
Longitude: -2.2115 / 2°12'41"W
OS Eastings: 385954
OS Northings: 362760
OS Grid: SJ859627
Mapcode National: GBR 12B.ZMD
Mapcode Global: WHBC1.0S5H
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 28 July 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1330322
English Heritage Legacy ID: 55863
Location: Congleton, Cheshire East, CW12
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Congleton
Built-Up Area: Congleton
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Congleton Team
Church of England Diocese: Chester
702/1/5 CHAPEL STREET
17-DEC-03 (South side)
CHURCH OF ST PETER
Parish Church. Ancient foundation, the present church built 1740-2 and designed by William Baker of Audlem. Red brick with stone dressings; gable ends; stone slate roof. Georgian Gothick style pinnacled west tower of stone completed 1786. Iron casement windows, the upper semi-circular headed, the lower segmental headed. West doorway with 8-panelled divided door and fine Roman Doric column porch set at an angle.
INTERIOR. 3-sided gallery, Roman Doric columns to gallery with square piers below, virtually complete set of box pews to nave, aisles and galleries, the latter with paupers' pews to rear, C17 enriched pulpit, finely carved reredos. Some fine C18-C19 wall monuments, C18 brass chandelier. Large paintings of St.Peter and St.Paul by Edward Penny of Knutsford of 1748.
This very fine C18 church has an splendid interior which is particularly complete with galleries, finely carved reredos, a virtually complete set of box pews and other C18 fittings and paintings.
Listing NGR: SJ8595462758
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings